OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. How much did this one set you back? And how long is this one?

It's a 60 incher. Thats a 16 ounce beer next to it. They're like $1,100 - $1,200.00 and another $450 to ship... in other words, way too much, lol.

But, when u compare the build quality to mass produced models, say on BRS, im not gunna say it's night and day difference in quality, but it's a pretty substantial difference, especially in the details. It's just quality all the way around. And the extra size to fit stuff easy, and a big refugium, i didnt want to go with out...

You could get a royal exclusive for like $2000 and this is just as good in all the details..

How are you lights and build coming?? I want to see an update!

Ive been working 24/7 starting my own business/practice, but feel like i may catch up enough by February to make progress on this reef tank and man room!

Last edited:

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, when u compare the build quality to mass produced models, say on BRS, im not gunna say it's night and day difference in quality, but it's a pretty substantial difference, especially in the details. It's just quality all the way around. And the extra size to fit stuff easy, and a big refugium, i didnt want to go with out...

You could get a royal exclusive for like $2000 and this is just as good in all the details..

How are you lights and build coming?? I want to see an update!

Ive been working 24/7 starting my own business/practice, but feel like i may catch up enough by February to make progress on this reef tank and man room!
I know the feeling. Barely had time to do fish stuff. I did get the motor the the lights hung on the ceiling on got dedicated 20 amp circuits installed today.

I think I will have tank in the house by end of next week. And then plumbing starts.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. Barely had time to do fish stuff. I did get the motor the the lights hung on the ceiling on got dedicated 20 amp circuits installed today.

I think I will have tank in the house by end of next week. And then plumbing starts.

I was thinking two dedicated 20 amp circuits for the tank. Is that sufficient or should i just add a third for good measure?

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking two dedicated 20 amp circuits for the tank. Is that sufficient or should i just add a third for good measure?
2 should be plenty. My halides will need 2 on their own.

With LEDs, i ran on a non dedicated circuit - never had any issues.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalized my flow for the aquarium:

Four MP 60's (used) and two MP 40's (used).

The returns are two eheims (at about 900 GPH).

Question for all ecotech guys and gals:

I really only want to put these MP's on the back return wall only. Where is the best way to place these for the six foot peninsula, the corners, middle?? Options for flow patterns? Can you connect all the pumps to sync and do fun stuff? Or do they just connect in pairs?

Thanks!

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalized my flow for the aquarium:

Four MP 60's (used) and two MP 40's (used).

The returns are two eheims (at about 900 GPH).

Question for all ecotech guys and gals:

I really only want to put these MP's on the back return wall only. Where is the best way to place these for the six foot peninsula, the corners, middle?? Options for flow patterns? Can you connect all the pumps to sync and do fun stuff? Or do they just connect in pairs?

Thanks!
I think 4 MP60 might be too many. They are very strong pumps. I am going with 2 60 and 2 40s for now. All on the single wall.

Not sure about patterns yet but you can play around with all the settings. All can be programmed together (no limitation on pairs).

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, you might be right. But what about this tank being jacuzzi as well?! lol.

i'll stick them on there for now and just arrange aqua scape around them. I can always take them down, but it seems i always underestimate flow needs... especially when things grow out! I can always just not run them or put the pumps on low.

The guy i bought them from said he's had a 6, 8, and now 10 foot tank and that he'd probably go for 4 mp 60's and not use the mp 40's. He recommend the mp 60's in the corners, two of them 8 inches below the surface and two of them 8 inches above the bottom of the tank. He said have pumps diagonal from each other run at the same time intermittently.
That sounds reasonable. I'll stick the mp 40's in the middle of the back section, high and low, and have them if i need them/it helps get flow to middle length of the tank

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, moved a baby tang and clown goby into the nano, just after they finished QT because a powder blue was picking on them in QT.

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE 200 UP AND RUNNING!!!

All equipment has been shipped in. And ALL way too expensive and way too nice...

But it's gunna be awesome--if the wife doesnt KILL ME... lol... She's pregnant again, so 8 months and this must be finished and on easy street or i really wont have any time!! Haha

Just need about three weekends to finish the garage! Working on finding the time :)

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little progress in the fishroom:
20210227_181036.jpg
20210227_181051.jpg
20210227_181100.jpg
20210227_181125.jpg
20210227_181840.jpg

20210228_090829.jpg

Six foot Peninsula goes where the blue is... bar to built in front..

Last edited:

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water, bacteria, and phyto (just so i can say something is alive in there, lol):
20210324_002451.jpg
20210324_002430.jpg
Hey man, looking good. Another IM tank! I think the frag rack might accumulate dirt at the bottom (assuming limited flow). But if it is just quarantine- won’t really matter.

Fish room is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, looking good. Another IM tank! I think the frag rack might accumulate dirt at the bottom (assuming limited flow). But if it is just quarantine- won’t really matter.

Fish room is coming along nicely.
I agree about the detritus, hoping a sneaky little pump under the rack will help?!

20210324_155743.jpg

Go IM! LOL... really like these tanks... guess i should--i have three! Haha

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the opposite from you, I've been out of the hobby for a while and had no idea about how far automation has come, so as soon as I found out about the apex a few months back I was hard core back in in an instant. I know what automation can do for computers, I can't wait to play around with it AND have a reef tank again :D.

I am also going to go with 4 MP60's at the overflow end and a maxspect gyre XF350 at the far end.

I thought about going really expensive on the return pump, but then I figured if I double up on the cor-20's, then I'll have redundancy, and I'll have monitoring with the Apex to let me know the second one fails.

I've seen lots of people bolt a reefbrite to their T5 fixtures, seems like a repeatable way to get results for sure.

Question: Do you plan on putting your tank away from the wall to make room for plumbing, or are you going to have a hole in the wall and put the tank right up against it? I can't decide, but I'm leaning towards cutting a hole large enough to access the entire back of the overflow side with a few inches on top to access the overflow itself and then mount some molding on a hinge to cover the gap.
Apex is a game changer for me too. I've been out of the hobby for 14 years, but my 120 build thread is not far away!

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little more progress... needs primer sealer and paint and trim...

Peninsula with bar around the tank is the plan...

The blue is lights on electric roller to raise and lower... motor and roller hidden up above...

Display refugium of nothing but clams to left :)

All plumbed into a single sump in the fishroom behind the tank...

tank with refugium.jpg
20210522_182717.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back