Help to ID diatoms

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! Was hoping to get some input on identifying what algae this is. The tank is around a month and a half old which is why I was starting to think it was diatoms. But my phosphates are 0 which is why I was thinking they could be dinos as well? I'm not sure, any help would be great, along with suggestions on how to get rid of them. Or if I should just leave them and let it play it's course. It's growing on the sandbed, rocks (snails usually keep the rocks pretty clean), glass, and pumps.
My tank is a rsr 250, have a reefmat 500, protein skimmer, and UV hooked up in the sump. Currently have 2 clowns, royal gramma, and clean up crew in the tank.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~12
phos: 0 (was 0.03-0.05 when I check earlier this week)
salnity: ~1.026
Using instant ocean salt along with caribsea pink fiji sand. Not sure if either of these would leach silicates to feed diatoms. Also, have my own RODI water system for the salt water and the ATO RODI water. If it is diatoms would something like RowaPhos help to remove silicates?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

20230604_124819.jpg 20230604_124812.jpg

Last edited:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Was hoping to get some input on identifying what algae this is. The tank is around a month and a half old which is why I was starting to think it was diatoms. But my phosphates are 0 which is why I was thinking they could be dinos as well? I'm not sure, any help would be great, along with suggestions on how to get rid of them. Or if I should just leave them and let it play it's course.
My tank is a rsr 250, have a reefmat 500, protein skimmer, and UV hooked up in the sump.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~12
phos: 0 (was 0.03-0.05 when I check earlier this week)
salnity: ~1.026
Using instant ocean salt along with caribsea pink fiji sand. Not sure if either of these would leach silicates to feed diatoms. Also, have my own RODI water system for the salt water and the ATO RODI water. If it is diatoms would something like RowaPhos help to remove silicates?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

20230604_124819.jpg 20230604_124812.jpg
Buy a cheap microscope and you know for sure. Looks to me like diatoms, the mustard colour and no bubbles with snott tells me diatoms. Get a clean up crew, they like that.

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy a cheap microscope and you know for sure. Looks to me like diatoms, the mustard colour and no bubbles with snott tells me diatoms. Get a clean up crew, they like that.
Got it, I'll look around on amazon for one. There are small bubbles that form on the top throughout the day, can see small pieces of sand float to the top, pop, and fall back down. And currently have some turbo and trochus snails, hermits, and a tiger conch. Forgot to include that, added it into the post now, also have a pair of clowns and a royal gramma.

AntonioRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same situation as the OP, my aquarium is almost 3 months old. It is a redSea 300g2, with the following parameters currently: Temp->25.5ºc; Salinity->1.025; KH->7.3; CA->430; MG->1370; Nitrates-> 6; Phosphates->0. Well, the phosphates were 0.12. After a week of turning on Hydra 26HD led light, the phosphates dropped to zero and diatoms appeared.

diatoms.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back