OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see...
Well, some weeks back, i went to the lfs to get a piece of dry rock. After choosing a piece, I asked if i could dump it into his sump to turn it into live rock. It was fully dry and white at this point. He cured it, then it spent a few weeks in his sump. When i went to finally collect it, this was on it.

What is an echinata? Lps? Sps? Nps? Softie?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an LPS coral. Can be aggressive as well. Give it some time in the display and it should color up nicely.

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually... I got this on a piece of dry rock. I asked the lfs to soak, cure and turn it into live rock for me while i was cycling my substrate. When i picked the rock out, it was pure white. When i put it into my tank this was on it.

So my question is, is it possible for any lps,sps etc, to die, but retain colouration?

Cos i don't think there was enough time for this to start growing to this extent while it was soaking in his sump...

And it's been pretty much the same for the past 2 months. No change in colour, size or activity.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually... I got this on a piece of dry rock. I asked the lfs to soak, cure and turn it into live rock for me while i was cycling my substrate. When i picked the rock out, it was pure white. When i put it into my tank this was on it.

So my question is, is it possible for any lps,sps etc, to die, but retain colouration?

Cos i don't think there was enough time for this to start growing to this extent while it was soaking in his sump...

And it's been pretty much the same for the past 2 months. No change in colour, size or activity.
Corals can come back from what is perceived to be dead. I’ve seen both SPS and LPS lose color and then regain it. If there’s still tissue, I’d leave it. For LPS, give it low light and not too much flow. Don’t try to feed it. Keep parameters stable and you may have luck with it.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My assumption would be that it isnt the exact rock you initially picked. May have been a slight mixup in your favor

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, so basically, the fact that there's colour means there's life?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back