Help to move bigger tank question

Bape47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i just got the bio cue 29 gallon last 2 weeks ago and i just finished cycle last week i got 2 fish in there now but now i want to upgrade a bigger tank for coral :)

i saw a guy sell a SCA tank 66 gallon so i try to buy that tank so now if i move all the live rock and old water to the new tank and add another 30 gallon new water which mean i have to cycle new tank again? can i use the water from the SCA tank and mix with my water in bio cue tank? does it help? also do i need a lot of live rock more to get bacteria again?

the SCA tank they say 66 gallon is it true? cause the red sea 250 they said 65 gallon but the tank only 54 gallon plus sump 11 gallon,it so confusing me :(

please help

thanks in advance

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldnt be any problems with moving to the new tank and adding new water.
I never recommend using "old" water from a tank just sold. In most cases its not well cared for before it was sold.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By old water do you mean the water from your current 2 week old tank? If so, then sure, you can go ahead and use most of it if you want to. If, instead, you are referring to the water from the tank you are thinking of buying, then no, absolutely not.

My reasons for that are really very simple. First, water is heavy and a royal PIA to deal with. If you are getting any livestock or rock with it, use just enough water in buckets to hold them, and discard it when you transfer to the new setup. You also don't know how long it's been since the last water change, so the parameters could be anywhere, probably not where they should be.

Think of moving to a larger tank as a chance of a really big water change. Have enough freshly made saltwater on hand to fill the tank. The fish and corals will be happy you did.

OP
OP
Bape47

Bape47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By old water do you mean the water from your current 2 week old tank? If so, then sure, you can go ahead and use most of it if you want to. If, instead, you are referring to the water from the tank you are thinking of buying, then no, absolutely not.

My reasons for that are really very simple. First, water is heavy and a royal PIA to deal with. If you are getting any livestock or rock with it, use just enough water in buckets to hold them, and discard it when you transfer to the new setup. You also don't know how long it's been since the last water change, so the parameters could be anywhere, probably not where they should be.

Think of moving to a larger tank as a chance of a really big water change. Have enough freshly made saltwater on hand to fill the tank. The fish and corals will be happy you did.

Ok then yeah i just use my old water from bio cue and add half new water so my fish still ok right?

But u think i need cycle again? Cause live rock not enough for bigger tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I add the upper half of the old water mixed with new. Add liquid Bacteria such as Dr. Tims or Fritz turbo start 900 to keep cycling in the right direction. If you add old sand, do so Before you fill, and not after.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You buy a tank I dont recommend to use that water because it is often not well handled the last months.
If You move water from one tank to another its just as good as before the move.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back