Help! Turned on the lights - FUHreaking out

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on a new Reefer 350 build for two weeks now - collecting equipment, leak testing, arranging the sump, building a gear cabinet, etc. My wife finished the aquascape this weekend and we transferred it to the tank. I was trying to take video to post here to get a critique but was getting too much glare from the front glass, so I installed the lights . . .

We're finding the 2x XR15s are pretty unbearable even at 25%. They're mounted with the G5 mounts about 8" off where the water would be. I tried making a make-shift canopy, and it helps, but the blue is spilling into the room in a way that is pretty shocking to everyone in the family, including myself. In a fish room, this would be okay, but the tank is in the common area of our apartment. Will there be any major improvement once we get sand on the bottom and water in the tank? Any advice on minimizing the spillage? This was nearly a panic attack inducing situation. Even though everyone was very excited to start the cycle this week, I'm actually thinking of scrapping the entire reef idea (and a ton of cash) and turning this into a planted FW angel tank instead. ;Inpain

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on a new Reefer 350 build for two weeks now - collecting equipment, leak testing, arranging the sump, building a gear cabinet, etc. My wife finished the aquascape this weekend and we transferred it to the tank. I was trying to take video to post here to get a critique but was getting too much glare from the front glass, so I installed the lights . . .

We're finding the 2x XR15s are pretty unbearable even at 25%. They're mounted with the G5 mounts about 8" off where the water would be. I tried making a make-shift canopy, and it helps, but the blue is spilling into the room in a way that is pretty shocking to everyone in the family, including myself. In a fish room, this would be okay, but the tank is in the common area of our apartment. Will there be any major improvement once we get sand on the bottom and water in the tank? Any advice on minimizing the spillage? This was nearly a panic attack inducing situation. Even though everyone was very excited to start the cycle this week, I'm actually thinking of scrapping the entire reef idea (and a ton of cash) and turning this into a planted FW angel tank instead. ;Inpain
I have a REDSEA XL200 with one Radion XR15 Gen5 Blue Light. It is a beautiful light. Not an issue spilling over into the room. I am using one of the pre-loaded templates and it is great. I would keep going. You will be able to schedule the light to only be on for 8 or 9 hours during the day. The remainder of the time, it will be nighttime. Review the section on Installation to ensure your lights are at the correct level above your tank. Good Luck!

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a REDSEA XL200 with one Radion XR15 Gen5 Blue Light. It is a beautiful light. Not an issue spilling over into the room. I am using one of the pre-loaded templates and it is great. I would keep going. You will be able to schedule the light to only be on for 8 or 9 hours during the day. The remainder of the time, it will be nighttime. Review the section on Installation to ensure your lights are at the correct level above your tank. Good Luck!

Thanks. Are you using the RMS mount or something different?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have mine starting out with blue and slowly ramping to white and ramping down after 4p
My light bar was doing this and I turned it inwards

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the light, that should take care of the problem if it’s that the light is escaping over the rim of your tank.
However, the light will always turn the room it’s in slightly blue, no way around that I’m afraid.
that’s one of the reasons as to why I have my tank in the basement.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a empty tank is pretty much a reflector-the water sand etc will help as will a proper fixture height. I sometimes make a 3/4 (front and sides) acrylic hood/rim to keep light from hittin people eyes if a couch or something makes things line up that way. Finally a reef will draw attention to itself and the light spill will be secondary to most people.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tipping the fixture slightly to the rear can also help.
This helped get the glare out of our eyes and from reflecting off a glass table. Thanks!

Once there is water in the tank, it will be much better.
a empty tank is pretty much a reflector-the water sand etc will help as will a proper fixture height.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll fill the tank tomorrow to see the effect that water has. I'll also try to simulate the sand somehow. For some reason we never noticed that the blue spectrum overload on any of our many trips to the LFStores. Probably because they're wide open with high ceilings. It's fine in the tank, but not on my white carpet, white kitchen, etc.

However, the light will always turn the room it’s in slightly blue, no way around that I’m afraid.
that’s one of the reasons as to why I have my tank in the basement.

If we find that the blue is a deal killer (don't have a basement), is monkeying with spectrum a bad idea? Setting cool white, red and green to 100%, then everything else to 25% makes the blue much more tolerable.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helped get the glare out of our eyes and from reflecting off a glass table. Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll fill the tank tomorrow to see the effect that water has. I'll also try to simulate the sand somehow. For some reason we never noticed that the blue spectrum overload on any of our many trips to the LFStores. Probably because they're wide open with high ceilings. It's fine in the tank, but not on my white carpet, white kitchen

If we find that the blue is a deal killer (don't have a basement), is monkeying with spectrum a bad idea? Setting cool white, red and green to 100%, then everything else to 25% makes the blue much more tolerable.
Mny people, myself included, run a 10-15k spectrum. It's perfectly acceptable, though I feel that some deep blue in the mornings and evenings is important

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should be fine doing this, might miss out of some color pop but that’s not the end of the world. Just think of how a shallow reef looks like, it’s not that blue.
I’ve used 10k halides in the past and stuff grew like weeds.

One option for you to be able To run your fixture as low as possible would be T5 as they are far superior when it comes to light dispersion.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Filling the tank had a HUGE effect. All the bright blues spilling onto the white carpet and furniture basically went away. You can really see the reflection on the walls disappear too. Take a look at the gif below. I'm going to work on a canopy mock up to see if that will further help. I'm backing away from the edge now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Tank Fill Light Test Fast.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back