Help! Two ocellaris clowns

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m newish to tanks and the saltwater world I woke up this morning and turned my tanks lights on and boom both my clowns have about 4-7 white little dots on them is this from fighting or is it a type of disease☹️ Tanks only about 4.5 weeks old I did however use already cycled water from a previous tank
image.jpg
image.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me that looks like ich, But let the experts verify. If its ich, A QT with ICH-X or another med will be needed as well as the DT will need to be fallow for 76 days.
+1

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1, welcome to R2R! Looks like ICH to me. A very common disease in aquarium, yet deadly if it remains untreated. It can be cured, but cannot be eradicated 100%. Do you maintain a quarantine tank? QT is basically like Ellis island immigration system. Before your fish goes in main tank, you should treat your fish for stress, external parasites. QT process helps new fish to acclimate to your water parameter.

The best way to treat ich is copper blue, you have to maintain copper at a recommended level for effective treatment. Higher dose can be lethal for any fish,however. Consider this like Chemo treatment. You CANNOT add copper blue to your main tank if you plan to add invertebrate or coral. If you do, you have to make sure its sucked out of your main tank, hence you maintain a QT.

There are other herbal treatment which could be added directly to your tank, and has no ill effect on inverts or coral. I have used Kordon ICH attack to treat them in past. You can also raise temperature in your main tank, let say to 82 when treating with Kordon ICH.

Good luck with your treatment! Happy to help in future too.

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R a few things everyone is going to want to know.. How big is your tank? How long have the fish been in the tank? Did you qt the fish? What are the parameters?
10 gallon tank I did the normal steps to putting a fish in not just dropping them straight into the tank.I had 3 damsels for about 4 weeks took them out and just put these two in last night.

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1, welcome to R2R! Looks like ICH to me. A very common disease in aquarium, yet deadly if it remains untreated. It can be cured, but cannot be eradicated 100%. Do you maintain a quarantine tank? QT is basically like Ellis island immigration system. Before your fish goes in main tank, you should treat your fish for stress, external parasites. QT process helps new fish to acclimate to your water parameter.

The best way to treat ich is copper blue, you have to maintain copper at a recommended level for effective treatment. Higher dose can be lethal for any fish,however. Consider this like Chemo treatment. You CANNOT add copper blue to your main tank if you plan to add invertebrate or coral. If you do, you have to make sure its sucked out of your main tank, hence you maintain a QT.

There are other herbal treatment which could be added directly to your tank, and has no ill effect on inverts or coral. I have used Kordon ICH attack to treat them in past. You can also raise temperature in your main tank, let say to 82 when treating with Kordon ICH.

Good luck with your treatment! Happy to help in future too.
So this may sound crazy but some of the white spots have disappeared. They haven’t shaken their heads or acted like they were trying to knock something off of them. They’ve been hanging out swimming around normally like last might. As soon as my local shop opens today I’m gonna give them a call and see if they have anything to help

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1 , nope its not. ICH has a life cycle, what you see "white spots" are matured parasites. The fell off in your tank, they'll reproduce lay eggs, the egg gets attached to host fish and grow/feed on host fish feed, once mature you see the white spot.

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1 , nope its not. ICH has a life cycle, what you see "white spots" are matured parasites. The fell off in your tank, they'll reproduce lay eggs, the egg gets attached to host fish and grow/feed on host fish feed, once mature you see the white spot.

Harmful or ? I swear I wasn’t going crazy they started with a few on each aide and now theirs only like 1/2 dots on my bigger clown the other practically has any now.

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1, just so you know you can keep skunk cleaner fish. They are medics. They form a relation with your fish to eat all parasite on them. In wild, there are multiple such medic organism. If there are a lot of white spot, treatment us the best course of action.

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lgwilliams1, just so you know you can keep skunk cleaner fish. They are medics. They form a relation with your fish to eat all parasite on them. In wild, there are multiple such medic organism. If there are a lot of white spot, treatment us the best course of action.
The white spots have actually fallen off I believe? Their not there anymore theirs maybe 1/2 on my bigger clown. I thought about getting a cleaner shrimp but I will look into that! Would just one skunk cleaner work?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple other things for your long-term success....

1). Make sure your tank is cycled. Ising water from a cycled tank doesn’t mean you necessarily have a cycled tank

2) Many state long-term issues with black sand. I am just parroting what I’ve heard on this though, but may be worth looking into.

Making sure tank is cycled is #1 priority

Also, Skunk cleaners are just cool in general

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots have actually fallen off I believe? Their not there anymore theirs maybe 1/2 on my bigger clown. I thought about getting a cleaner shrimp but I will look into that! Would just one skunk cleaner work?

How many fish do you have in the system? How long has your tank setup?

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple other things for your long-term success....

1). Make sure your tank is cycled. Ising water from a cycled tank doesn’t mean you necessarily have a cycled tank

2) Many state long-term issues with black sand. I am just parroting what I’ve heard on this though, but may be worth looking into.

Making sure tank is cycled is #1 priority

Also, Skunk cleaners are just cool in general
Thanks for the info! Glad I have some help and hopefully a resolution to this. I dropped a little bit of food in and they both ate their swimming happliy and haven’t done anything to make me think theirs something wrong other then the white spots this morning. And I have heard about the black sand unfortunately that was the only thing I could get besides the pebble rock at the time. Me being a impatient person didnt help any lol.

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have in the system? How long has your tank setup?
2 fish and I’d say 4 and a half weeks going on 5. I had three damsels in it before hand and just took them out 2 days ago and put these guys in last night

OP
OP
L

Lgwilliams1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would monitor them and see if they built up a natural immunity/tolerance. How big is your tank btw? What else are you planning on keeping?
Tank is a 10 gallon theirs two clowns 3 key west hermits and 3 turbo snails. (Wish they were the Mexican kind) I did also put a green Star polyp i was gifted but that’s been in for about 5 days now.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank I did the normal steps to putting a fish in not just dropping them straight into the tank.I had 3 damsels for about 4 weeks took them out and just put these two in last night.
I'm not sure of the "normal way" which you are referring to because there are many different ways. I would recommend quarantining new incoming fish to insure health before putting them in the display. I would also be very cautious about putting someone else's tank water in your system in an attempt to cycle it faster as it could introduce undesirable thing into your tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back