Help using cupermine

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g qt and added 10 drops of cupermine the first day and 10 drops the second day. I’m just waiting for 48 hrs to pass before adding more. I did a test using Hanna copper checker and my results came back to 0.52, isn’t this the amount we want to be at? do I need to add more after the 48 hrs are up.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therapeutic level of Cupramine is 0.50
That equates to roughly 4 drops per gallon over a 48 hour period. Or 4 drops per gallon when you are doing a water change.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree the directions are a bit confusing on the Cupramine label.

Things to consider:

Your tank is probably not exactly 10 gallons (most are 9.5 + or -) and the dosage is drops per 10.5 gallon. So that throws off the calculation of drops a bit.

Doing the two big doses as directed can be a bit harsh on some fish. So when I used to use Cupramine (highly recommend Copper Power instead) I would calculate the total numbers of drops to reach therapeutic range which is 0.40-0.50 ppm.

In my 10 gallon QT usually got to therapeutic around 35 or so drops, which I dosed a couple of drops AM, lunch, PM, each day until I reached therapeutic, according to my records, because of the slightly smaller size of the tank (I measured it and it is 9.4 gallons not including the HOB). This was for prophylactic treatment with no parasites in evidence. The smaller doses allow you to watch for copper sensitive fish.

Here's another thread where Humblefish answers the same question for another reefer. Hope this helps a bit.

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree the directions are a bit confusing on the Cupramine label.

Things to consider:

Your tank is probably not exactly 10 gallons (most are 9.5 + or -) and the dosage is drops per 10.5 gallon. So that throws off the calculation of drops a bit.

Doing the two big doses as directed can be a bit harsh on some fish. So when I used to use Cupramine (highly recommend Copper Power instead) I would calculate the total numbers of drops to reach therapeutic range which is 0.40-0.50 ppm.

In my 10 gallon QT usually got to therapeutic around 35 or so drops, which I dosed a couple of drops AM, lunch, PM, each day until I reached therapeutic, according to my records, because of the slightly smaller size of the tank (I measured it and it is 9.4 gallons not including the HOB). This was for prophylactic treatment with no parasites in evidence. The smaller doses allow you to watch for copper sensitive fish.

Here's another thread where Humblefish answers the same question for another reefer. Hope this helps a bit.
I just did a water change and my copper level is at 0.31, should I be dosing more to get to 0.50? I only dosed 2 times at 10 drops per and the directions say dose again after 48 hours.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions say to dose 48 hours later so as to not injure the fish with too much copper too fast.

So yes, you need to add more cupramine to get to 0.50

On a 10 gallon QT, 35 + or - total drops should be getting pretty close to 0.50.

So you are probably going to need to add 15 more drops or so. I'd add 5 drops and wait a couple of hours and then test.

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions say to dose 48 hours later so as to not injure the fish with too much copper too fast.

So yes, you need to add more cupramine to get to 0.50

On a 10 gallon QT, 35 + or - total drops should be getting pretty close to 0.50.

So you are probably going to need to add 15 more drops or so. I'd add 5 drops and wait a couple of hours and then test.
thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back