Help, wall hammer all of the sudden not looking too good

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this wall hammer for a good 4 months now and it has been one of my favorites in this tank and has always opened up fully and looked healthy. In the past two days it has not opened up fully and today morning before the lights went on I see this receding in the center of it and it looks like the skeleton is starting to show. I do not know what can be going wrong. All parameters are in check and stable and all my other corals is looking healthy including other hammers. No change in lighting or flow since it was first introduced. It is also releasing or causing this grey jelly like substance that is white or the same color of the green polyps. Could this be brown jelly disease even though it is not brown? Any ideas help with be greatly appreciated.

tempImagewfk9K7.png tempImageTschMY.png tempImageezvkne.png

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity: 1.026
Phosphate: .08
Nitrate: 8
Alkalinity: 8.3
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1440

All things tested with Hanna, Salifert, or Aquaforest
Ok good. Have you moved it at all? sometimes we accidently damage a polyp without knowing it and it leads to infection. i had the exact same thing happen literally on monday. i would dip it in diluted iodine and gently wash out any dead tissue incase its an infection. a dip in chemi clean would work too if youre worried about BJD

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. Have you moved it at all? sometimes we accidently damage a polyp without knowing it and it leads to infection. i had the exact same thing happen literally on monday. i would dip it in diluted iodine and gently wash out any dead tissue incase its an infection. a dip in chemi clean would work too if youre worried about BJD
No nothing has been moved or done to it since it got put in 4 months ago.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don't buy wall hammers anymore. After a couple years out of the blue. Bam it starts to deteriate. Maybe it's happening earlier for you.

You should dip it with luguls to try and stop it.
It will give you more time with the coral

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not receding lines.
Yes, they are.
It receeds showing the white skeleton then little debris and microbes attach to them. The more it recedes, the darker the bottom line gets. That flesh is supposed to be at least an inch if not more off that head. This is 100% receded almost up to the head, not a particularly healthy Coral.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back