Help what’s on my this fish

Hollywoodwater617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after day 2 of not seeing the little guys that much I figured I moved the rocks around to find him. Pick up the rock the little guy comes out flying but with this nasty spot on the side. dangit is this ick? What can I do, I don’t have QT Either,
I have 2 fish gramma (4 days in the tank) and a watchman
Emerald crib and turbo snail
Zoas and leather coral.
simple hob filter
Small water change Monday after putting new fish in the tank.

470AFD81-BE65-400B-ABA4-72BF5BE75E7C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3520.MOV
    8.3 MB

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nasty injury. Could be from your very course substrate. Next time do not look for hiding fish, you can cause a lot more damage to them, and some fish not uncommon to hide up to 2 weeks.

I would treat in a qt with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

some examples
Readily available at most big box or lfs
Furan2 + kanaplex + neoplex
Triple sulfa
Doxycycline(fin and body API brand)

OP
OP
H

Hollywoodwater617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nasty injury. Could be from your very course substrate. Next time do not look for hiding fish, you can cause a lot more damage to them, and some fish not uncommon to hide up to 2 days.

some examples
Triple sulfa
That looks like a nasty injury. Could be from your very course substrate. Next time do not look for hiding fish, you can cause a lot more damage to them, and some fish not uncommon to hide up to 2 weeks.

some examples
Triple sulfa
It’s a new fish I got on Monday 2 weeks should’ve been 2 days. Could it be velvet? I’ll check out the LFS tomorrow should I do a water change tonight?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Investigate to how injury may have occurred ( startled, aggression, or scratching from being irritated?), treatment with Melafix will work great and is reef safe

OP
OP
H

Hollywoodwater617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so I took the fish out the tank and placed it a small bucket with a heater. Wait on a small filter now! I’m a newbie I got scared thinking it was ick or something like that. So you all are think it’s an injury? And not something that could harm the tank? Placing the fish back in the DT sounds ok? Thank you all for your help and support

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56D2BEFB-9EB5-4CD4-AA65-50CF2C4CDEE6.jpeg
168A12D2-834B-4056-9A1B-C7CA67ED9234.jpeg

to help with id of ich and velvet.

definitely an injury.
While the fish itself will not harm your tank, it is easier to treat a fish in qt. As antibiotics and pristine water will help the fish fight off a secondary infection at the injury site.
I would consider changing to a substrate thats less sharp and smaller. In freshwater you can call fish top, middle and bottom fish. As ive never had a tetra rub my sand bed. But in saltwater almost every fish i have had comes in contact with the sabd bed on a daily basis.

OP
OP
H

Hollywoodwater617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on changing out that substrate.
Thank you everyone I’ll go to the lfs tomorrow I’ll look into Melafix I only have stress cost plus ( I brought for my freshwater tank ) and that’s not going to do much. Ill keep a close eye on the fish tonight. Thanx again for the info. I’ll do a water change tomorrow, mixing salt now. Using RC, last time I only let it mix for a 2 hrs I Usually let it mix overnight. I feel an upgrade coming on sooner then later so I’ll check out other substrate then. You guys saved me from a sleepless night. R2R rocks. @Gareth elliott your pics will help me spot those issues better, awesome I needed that Visual.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back