HELP!! What can I do if I added too much nopox?? HELP!!!!!

reefcat07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added about 100ml of nopox to a 270 gallon tank.

I know I shall do a water change ASAP but I can only do about 40 gallons a day as I mis my own salt.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be most concerned about keeping the water oxygenated. I might even buy an airstone to be safe. I don't want to sound alarmist but if you read the 1 star reviews for Nopox on Amazon there are multiple people who have dosed Nopox, resulting in bacterial bloom and all their fish died.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it forever and have not suffered any loss of any type livestock even on the rare occasion a little much is added. I wouldnt rely on amazon reviews as you don't know what the conditions of the tank's were to begin with along with any other issues going on.

OP
OP
R

reefcat07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sweat it, your water might get a little cloudy for a day but everything should be fine, I've done it before. Just don't dose it for a couple days.
Thanks as I am a bit concerned. My tank is fairly new as I have been cycling it for 3 months now. Should I add an airstone to keep oxygen levels up?

Thanks again.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a skimmer plus some water agitation you don't need an airstone, just relax and it will clear up by morning most likely. Just let it be, no need to change a bunch of water or add anything and possibly cause more changes and stress the inhabitants.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as I am a bit concerned. My tank is fairly new as I have been cycling it for 3 months now. Should I add an airstone to keep oxygen levels up?

Thanks again.

What's your game plan? Why cycling for 3 months? Carbon dosing typically isn't necessary in the first 3 months of a tank's life, what is the purpose? Do you have any livestock?

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it forever and have not suffered any loss of any type livestock even on the rare occasion a little much is added. I wouldnt rely on amazon reviews as you don't know what the conditions of the tank's were to begin with along with any other issues going on.

So you haven't had fish die, but other people have, and OP should just ignore those other people's experience because we don't have any information about what was going on in those other people's tanks?

Maybe they weren't skimming enough, or maybe they dosed more than OP, but just because you haven't had a problem that other people experienced doesn't prove anything.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda feel like 1 star nopox reviews usually seem like they're from folks who didn't understand what carbon dosing was, how it works, or that Nopox is carbon dosing and not some sort of instant nitrate reducer. Then they create a bacterial bloom, maybe don't even have a skimmer, and their fish die overnight. I personally did a ton of research about nutrient export and carbon dosing prior to using it, but I feel like there's a fair amount of ppl out there who don't.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you haven't had fish die, but other people have, and OP should just ignore those other people's experience because we don't have any information about what was going on in those other people's tanks?

Maybe they weren't skimming enough, or maybe they dosed more than OP, but just because you haven't had a problem that other people experienced doesn't prove anything.
Ok, I gave him advice on my personal experience, If you disagree I don't care, just trying to help based on personal experience from learning from mistakes. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. What happened to him is not the end of the world. Maybe you can post some of your personal experiences with this issue, not what you read on the internet since you have no idea any other issues I those peoples tanks. Here a recent vid of mine showing no issues with a little extra nopox. I I'm wrong please give the op some good information since I guess I'm wrong after 35+year.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be most concerned about keeping the water oxygenated. I might even buy an airstone to be safe. I don't want to sound alarmist but if you read the 1 star reviews for Nopox on Amazon there are multiple people who have dosed Nopox, resulting in bacterial bloom and all their fish died.
Carbon dosing is essentially feeding bacteria to consume nitrates .

oxygenate water as a bacterial bloom is possible which can starve the system of oxygen .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back