HELP! What happened with my Holy Grail?

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I need your help.

I recently bought this torch from a store (picture 1) before they shipped it I asked for another picture of the torch. Then they sent a torch that’s almost closed up (picture 2). Not a big deal I thought since they might’ve moved it.

Then when it got here I noticed this animal in the middle of it, dealer said it was fine and wouldn’t hurt the coral, would only help split it into two heads they said.

Upon adding it to my tank it didn’t fully open for days, then I noticed tissue was getting loose from the skeleton and within a day all that was left was a skeleton and the animal in the middle. By looking at it... I think this animal caused the tissue to detach from the skeleton, don’t you think?

Did I just get scammed with a coral that was likely to die anyways? The other torches I ordered are perfectly fine.

EB8F6D95-0889-45D2-A561-8C47C6516BD9.jpeg 0F835C52-5943-44C3-8E02-27DC3B852604.jpeg 4AE86423-C6B3-40A5-A133-C80A149BF5B6.jpeg C1B9FF77-160F-4B4E-9B06-A541D9C72F6E.jpeg FF245AA7-C0F8-4E26-A326-1A622554E578.jpeg F06D8268-C2E1-475B-B971-754B662A0757.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stress you out, but I had a hammer that did the same thing. It died a week later. The dealer should reimburse you because of that hitchhiker. I have no idea what it is, but there is no way your dealer didn’t see it. Even if the coral survives, you deserve reimbursement. Upon a closer look and reading of what you said, Is it fully dead?

OP
OP
Danny's Aquariums

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stress you out, but I had a hammer that did the same thing. It died a week later. The dealer should reimburse you because of that hitchhiker. I have no idea what it is, but there is no way your dealer didn’t see it. Even if the coral survives, you deserve reimbursement. Upon a closer look and reading of what you said, Is it fully dead?
yup, completely gone. Look at the last two pics.
I got these corals for less than wholesale probably (they were already on sale and I applied a 50% discount code on top of that.)

I told them about this (as well as another loss, one head on a mother colony died/was damaged and died off.) and they just said “Ok”.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, completely gone. Look at the last two pics.
I got these corals for less than wholesale probably (they were already on sale and I applied a 50% discount code on top of that.)

I told them about this (as well as another loss, one head on a mother colony died/was damaged and died off.) and they just said “Ok”.
That’s unbelievable. Please make a post about this in marketplace and include your seller. Even with discounts a holy grail torch is extremely expensive. Before you make this post I would aggressively ask for a refund or replacement.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to know what the critter was because I had the exact same thing take out half my hammer colony!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an aiptasia that setup shop in an opening in the middle of the skeleton. That would sting the torch thus resulting In tissue dying around the center and could lead to bjd.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to know what the critter was because I had the exact same thing take out half my hammer colony!
It’s a barnacle, I have one in a torch and it hasn’t harmed it. It did cause it to split.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an aiptasia that setup shop in an opening in the middle of the skeleton. That would sting the torch thus resulting In tissue dying around the center and could lead to bjd.
It’s a barnacle, they don’t usually kill the coral, but can irritate it. So if it were also stressed, perhaps could lead to its demise.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back