Help- What kind of algae is this and how do I get rid of it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blackish algae that is on the rock- can't scrape off. It seems to have taken over my candy cane coral and is now on my montipora too.

I realized two weeks ago my phosphates had been high and I think this is where the problem started. I added GFO and a filter mat in the filtration and within a week phosphates dropped from 0.9 to 0.07. However, I don't know how to get this coral back to healthy, if I can.

Second issue, my duncan was thriving until the phosphates dropped. Now it looks terrible.

I do tend to get greenish/black algae in the sand bed pretty quickly. I do stir it up and try to vacuum the sand during water changes where I can without damaging the other things in the tank that are around.

All water parameters are within a good range. Just now sure off what to do next.
Salinity 34.8
Temp 79.8
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
Nitrite 27 ppb (0.027ppm)
Alk 9.7
Phosphate 0.07
Calcium 478 ppm

Here are photos of the candy cane before and after, the montipora, the rock close up, and the duncan before and after.

Candy Cane When Purchased.PNG Candy Cane Today.JPG Duncan When Purchased.PNG Duncan Today.JPG Montipora.JPG Rock Up Close.JPG

Back