Help: what lights to get with this 70 gallon reef?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The famous debate of what light lol always just kills me. Here is my advice and that is, find a light you think has good color etc. visit an aquarium and lfs etc. you don’t need economic or hydra for this size of a tank or larger. I mean I have a 240 and us current usa marine pros 4117 version and they grow corals like crazy sps lps etc.

If you find the critical angle you can avoid shadow effect till they start growing. Puck lights are not ideal of you want to eliminate shadow affect. The led lights that are the length of your tank would have less shadow effect and less light bleed or wasted energy.

Even high sps only need 200 par to actually thrive very well. If I recall you wanted softies and lps which any light really would work. Even if you wanted sps you could use reefbrites or even mars aqua and still grow anything. Every tank is different and grows different, lights are just one part of the math probelm.

Just to give you an example my tank is 240 gallons it’s 34 inches tall and 24 deep and 72 long. It’s less than 2 years old and this is the growth from using current usa lights.
The whites are set at 33% and blues 100 during the 12 hour cycle period. So these photos are in normal light with my horrible iPhone.

43CB195D-A539-4B06-959A-79803F31C3B1.jpeg 6BDE4FC4-F337-4AD7-AFEA-93B4C7502C85.jpeg 1770427D-32DB-420D-B418-A4BFE8B09881.jpeg 8729FCAE-FAB9-4385-B75A-2F37168DD4AE.jpeg 9D55821A-23CA-4047-BEE3-CFC988D03AE2.jpeg D4B3A132-703D-4A30-B0C8-903FBA63B8DC.jpeg 21782006-047C-4CFC-90A5-431827EE4CA7.jpeg 4A3F7CBF-D4D4-4C13-8D8F-BDDC3C894760.jpeg 123B9D76-5B23-43CB-8C45-43DFEFAC2762.jpeg 630F37B4-6047-46D9-A557-1A7FEED769FA.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you want a WiFi light? Once you set your lights it’s best to just leave them alone. Those apps allow people to play to much and cause a lot more bad issues then good. Personally all this app hype is what is causing so many tank issue threads. Just set your lights and leave them alone and a WiFi app is not needed for that.

The main reason for a 'wifi' light (not really sure what that is) - is to be able to adjust the light to where you want it - i.e. whats pleasing to the user - and what works for the inhabitants. Its not to be able to adjust the light every 20 minutes. You can also have different settings throughout the day. Again - not to constantly toy with. but to get a more natural look.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason for a 'wifi' light (not really sure what that is) - is to be able to adjust the light to where you want it - i.e. whats pleasing to the user - and what works for the inhabitants. Its not to be able to adjust the light every 20 minutes. You can also have different settings throughout the day. Again - not to constantly toy with. but to get a more natural look.
I think you are describing controlability not neccesarily wifi or not.
If light have controller all the described above is achieved withen the light capabilities..no?

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The famous debate of what light lol always just kills me. Here is my advice and that is, find a light you think has good color etc. visit an aquarium and lfs etc. you don’t need economic or hydra for this size of a tank or larger. I mean I have a 240 and us current usa marine pros 4117 version and they grow corals like crazy sps lps etc.

If you find the critical angle you can avoid shadow effect till they start growing. Puck lights are not ideal of you want to eliminate shadow affect. The led lights that are the length of your tank would have less shadow effect and less light bleed or wasted energy.

Even high sps only need 200 par to actually thrive very well. If I recall you wanted softies and lps which any light really would work. Even if you wanted sps you could use reefbrites or even mars aqua and still grow anything. Every tank is different and grows different, lights are just one part of the math probelm.

Just to give you an example my tank is 240 gallons it’s 34 inches tall and 24 deep and 72 long. It’s less than 2 years old and this is the growth from using current usa lights.
The whites are set at 33% and blues 100 during the 12 hour cycle period. So these photos are in normal light with my horrible iPhone.

43CB195D-A539-4B06-959A-79803F31C3B1.jpeg 6BDE4FC4-F337-4AD7-AFEA-93B4C7502C85.jpeg 1770427D-32DB-420D-B418-A4BFE8B09881.jpeg 8729FCAE-FAB9-4385-B75A-2F37168DD4AE.jpeg 9D55821A-23CA-4047-BEE3-CFC988D03AE2.jpeg D4B3A132-703D-4A30-B0C8-903FBA63B8DC.jpeg 21782006-047C-4CFC-90A5-431827EE4CA7.jpeg 4A3F7CBF-D4D4-4C13-8D8F-BDDC3C894760.jpeg 123B9D76-5B23-43CB-8C45-43DFEFAC2762.jpeg 630F37B4-6047-46D9-A557-1A7FEED769FA.jpeg
While I see the spirit of what you doing to simplify the reader line of thinking, I disagree a bit on the statment that when it come to light it's all about the colors that you like...
I would argue that the spectrum that coral like is actually not easy on the eye and might not look good.
That's why LEDs started adding blues to make coral look good not neccesarily for the coral itself...
Am I wrong?

Also are you sure 200 par is enough for most coral? Can you define enough?

Last edited:

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. The people on Reef2reef are very kind and helpful here. Facebook can be cruel place.

Would most people recommend one solid light or two lights for a tank?
No matter what light brand you choose I would go with two. If I’m reading the tank info you linked correct it comes with 1 AI Hydra 26 so I would just get a second. If the tank doesn’t come with the light just get 2 of what ever you get. Light conversations are like salt conversations lol

Just keep this in mined and it’s a great piece of advice we have failed to tell you “No two tanks are the same” and “Nothing in this hobby good happens fast”

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of T5, check out jason fox setups. Heavy use of T5s...
That's why I have such a problem of any claim that T5 do not grow or pop coral colors..
In Europe T5 still the ho to lighting systems.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of T5, check out jason fox setups. Heavy use of T5s...
That's why I have such a problem of any claim that T5 do not grow or pop coral colors..
In Europe T5 still the ho to lighting systems.

Once I added all the T5 lighting to my led setup there was a noticeable improvement within a few weeks in coral growth and color. And that video is one of several of his that sold me on adding them.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a metal halide flanked by leds? Not many think of trying this setup...
I think because MH generate nice color and growth already. Alot of the combo you see with reefers are to generate similar look to MH..at least that's what I underatood.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I see the spirit of what you doing to simplify the reader line of thinking, I disagree a bit on the statment that when it come to light it's all about the colors that you like...
I would argue that the spectrum that coral like is actually not easy on the eye and might not look good.
That's why LEDs started adding blues to make coral look good not neccesarily for the coral itself...
Am I wrong?

Also are you sure 200 par is enough for most coral? Can you define enough?

Hello,

Have you seen the presentation by @Dana Riddle about lights and par? Of not it may be a good starting point for you to understand the science behind it. In addition what I mean by light color is, I think radions and hydra (which are the same thing no difference same manufacturer, is the way they make corals look I personally don’t like. How many large aquariums do you know and see that use radions and hydra? Their displays are amazing, and they use Chinese black boxes, current usa old t5 and some mh. I have studied with five major aquariums and not one of them use these fancy lights.

Corals need the right amount of everything to grow. Water parameters, flow, food, lights, etc etc. people get the idea oh I have a radion most expensive light. Well so what. Look at how much energy you waste because they are 14 inches above the water. They have huge power supplies and waste it. Are they good lights (for the cost I hope so), but led technology is about the same across the board. Now if you want bells and whistles okay by radions and all the extra non sense that’s their right to do so. But people always compare look at Jason fox corals, which he uses the most expensive equipment. What fun is that? Here’s a challenge make a beautiful reef with cheap equipment, because honestly, I have provided proof, and my other friend who went with radions have struggled because they are way too powerful. We want to grow corals not cook them.

People should research and see what corals they use and the spectrums they like which is normally full spectrum. The pics I posted an hour ago are my normal daylight views and they look great. When the whites shut off yes mine glow also. But the op said he is doing lps and softies, heck you could use the current marine ic pro (which is a few steps below mine), and save 75% and have the same results.

It’s important that the op makes his tank the way they want. Coping someone else’s tank isn’t ideal, it may not work. Every tank is different, every person has a different opinion. Which means what you said is correct, but again that’s your opinion, and that method has worked for you. But, the op needs to find the critical angel to get the best placement. Lights similar to mine eliminate that because they sit right on top of the water and don’t have light bleeding out.

I will also cite other sources from scientific papers and peer reviews that show corals including sps don’t need more than 200 par, to grow and thrive. Yes can you alter colors blasting corals with 800 par. Sure, but you also risk killing them also.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Have you seen the presentation by @Dana Riddle about lights and par? Of not it may be a good starting point for you to understand the science behind it. In addition what I mean by light color is, I think radions and hydra (which are the same thing no difference same manufacturer, is the way they make corals look I personally don’t like. How many large aquariums do you know and see that use radions and hydra? Their displays are amazing, and they use Chinese black boxes, current usa old t5 and some mh. I have studied with five major aquariums and not one of them use these fancy lights.

Corals need the right amount of everything to grow. Water parameters, flow, food, lights, etc etc. people get the idea oh I have a radion most expensive light. Well so what. Look at how much energy you waste because they are 14 inches above the water. They have huge power supplies and waste it. Are they good lights (for the cost I hope so), but led technology is about the same across the board. Now if you want bells and whistles okay by radions and all the extra non sense that’s their right to do so. But people always compare look at Jason fox corals, which he uses the most expensive equipment. What fun is that? Here’s a challenge make a beautiful reef with cheap equipment, because honestly, I have provided proof, and my other friend who went with radions have struggled because they are way too powerful. We want to grow corals not cook them.

People should research and see what corals they use and the spectrums they like which is normally full spectrum. The pics I posted an hour ago are my normal daylight views and they look great. When the whites shut off yes mine glow also. But the op said he is doing lps and softies, heck you could use the current marine ic pro (which is a few steps below mine), and save 75% and have the same results.

It’s important that the op makes his tank the way they want. Coping someone else’s tank isn’t ideal, it may not work. Every tank is different, every person has a different opinion. Which means what you said is correct, but again that’s your opinion, and that method has worked for you. But, the op needs to find the critical angel to get the best placement. Lights similar to mine eliminate that because they sit right on top of the water and don’t have light bleeding out.

I will also cite other sources from scientific papers and peer reviews that show corals including sps don’t need more than 200 par, to grow and thrive. Yes can you alter colors blasting corals with 800 par. Sure, but you also risk killing them also.
Ok got it and thanks for pointing out at dana, I have not seen it, will go look it up. I have read from many other sources like Dr.Sanjay Joshi, coral lab by eco tech, BRS material though, and have learned from most that coral require certain spectrum not eye guaging good or bad..
So your comment was in respect to comparing eco tech and hydra not necessarily all light..correct?
If that's the case I do agree with you these 2 lights vary in small differences though others might disagree but i believe so.
As for the par, 200 par (to me at least) seem low for some of the acros outthere to get certain colors. It might be enough for coral color and growth(though I doubt it but do not have other than experince for my doubt).

Thank you sarah.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

do you have a link to presentation?

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I met someone local about buying corals and I had a very similar light to the marine ic pro at the time. I showed him my light like that, and he said it was NOT good enough to grow corals. He advised me to get the kessils, which I ended up hating. I love this hobby, but it can be confusing with some many people saying SO MANY different things.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met someone local about buying corals and I had a very similar light to the marine ic pro at the time. I showed him my light like that, and he said it was NOT good enough to grow corals. He advised me to get the kessils, which I ended up hating. I love this hobby, but it can be confusing with some many people saying SO MANY different things.
You really cannot go wrong with any if the higher end lights.
Kessil, Ecotech and hydra. The shimmer is annoying with kessil.
Ecotech and hydra give wide controlability which I like. If you will end up with one of these 3 do not get their low par lights lile the prime with ai, or the latest small light from kessil.
I know there are other cheaper LED solutions out there, I just have not tried them so I cannot give an openion..but there are other options..just ask someone who has the light and make sure u see their reef. Some will swear with a light, but you later realize they run diffrent viral to what you plabning to as an example...so keep that in prospective ad well.

Another path can be as I said T5..I see jason fox use LED to supplement T5 not the other way around on bunch if his setups..

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really cannot go wrong with any if the higher end lights.
Kessil, Ecotech and hydra. The shimmer is annoying with kessil.
Ecotech and hydra give wide controlability which I like. If you will end up with one of these 3 do not get their low par lights lile the prime with ai, or the latest small light from kessil.

Another path can be as I said T5..I see jason fox use LED to supplement T5 not the other way around on bunch if his setups..

Good luck.

I'm looking for something that can be mounted. Again, I'm thinking of 2 Hydra 26s or 1 Hydra 52. Which would be best? And I do agree with you, higher end lights do help corals. I think the cheap lights can serve a purpose, a good purpose at that. They deliver but underdeliver and underwhelm.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for something that can be mounted. Again, I'm thinking of 2 Hydra 26s or 1 Hydra 52. Which would be best? And I do agree with you, higher end lights do help corals. I think the cheap lights can serve a purpose, a good purpose at that. They deliver but underdeliver and underwhelm.
All lights can be mounted one way or another.
If am you I would take hydra 52 hd then add another one in the furure.
If you know for a fact you will never be able to add another one, I would get 2 hydra 26 HD.

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All lights can be mounted one way or another.
If am you I would take hydra 52 hd then add another one in the furure.
If you know for a fact you will never be able to add another one, I would get 2 hydra 26 HD.

yeah, no way would I get two hydra 52s. I'm not a fan of SPS. I prefer LPS. Would two Hydra 26s work for LPS in the tank?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If your running only lps and softies and actually want to Eliminate hot spots and shadow, then I would use two hydra 26 and space them (if that’s the light your set on. Then I would rent a par meter and find how much par your putting into the tank and then make adjustments. To eliminate shadow effect use the sin and cos and find the critical angle, and You have to compensate with wave makers on and water in the tank. It will change if you do it dry. I used this equation to find my critical angle and it worked well. Used the par meter to dial it in even more.

912E2A4F-D94A-4137-949F-463312E969E7.png 41F3B02E-B9AB-4A14-B95A-FD88B61055E0.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back