HELP - White Fuzz after tank tear down

sea2sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am struggling with an issue that happened in my 150 gallon saltwater tank. I had an outbreak of what I thought was ich but think turned into a bacteria infection. I setup quarantine in the basement and emptied the 150 gallon, cleaned two Fluval FX6s completely out and let air dry. Boiled / baked all the sand and rocks. Then filled again after roughly a week. I have put in the tank two Fritz turbo start bottles (each meant for 200 gallons) and have seen seen the following appear? It looks as though it is coming out of previously living things that were on the rock before I dried and boiled them. What is this and what can I do to ensure a clean start to the tank after I move my fish back?
IMG_6746.jpg
IMG_6748.jpg
IMG_6749.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that stuff is but I need to tell you, it's very dangerous to boil and bake Rock. People have gotten sick from the stuff coming off the rocks that was living. I hope you can find your answer I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

OP
OP
sea2sky

sea2sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what that stuff is but I need to tell you, it's very dangerous to boil and bake Rock. People have gotten sick from the stuff coming off the rocks that was living. I hope you can find your answer I'm sure somebody else will chime in.
Well I'm living and no third eye, but it smelt like crap

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boiled / baked all the sand and rocks.
First of all, don't ever do that again, and anybody reading this should also never do that. We don't really know what's on our live rock and many things that are toxic can end up in the air from doing things like boiling, baking, pressure washing, etc. The biggest concern is palytoxin, which mostly comes from palythoa and some other zoanthids but can be found in many other organisms either indirectly or directly. It is highly toxic and dangerous and has a history of being used in weapons to make them more lethal.

Looks to me like the living things on those rocks are now dead and decaying. Boiling and baking doesn't get rid of that stuff. It should eventually go away but will probably foul the water for a while.

OP
OP
sea2sky

sea2sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, don't ever do that again, and anybody reading this should also never do that. We don't really know what's on our live rock and many things that are toxic can end up in the air from doing things like boiling, baking, pressure washing, etc. The biggest concern is palytoxin, which mostly comes from palythoa and some other zoanthids but can be found in many other organisms either indirectly or directly. It is highly toxic and dangerous and has a history of being used in weapons to make them more lethal.

Looks to me like the living things on those rocks are now dead and decaying. Boiling and baking doesn't get rid of that stuff. It should eventually go away but will probably foul the water for a while.
What do you mean by foul? Can i pull out the white fuzz and have levels ok for fish?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by foul? Can i pull out the white fuzz and have levels ok for fish?
The white fuzz isn't necessary decaying matter, I think it's stuff that is breaking down that matter. It will grow back until the resource is exhausted.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back