Help! White spot on my clownfish eye

Chuck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am a noob. I just bought a pair of clownfish from a reputable vendor. The vendor was recommended from a friend. He told me that the fish were sustainable and disease free… I don’t have a QT at the moment and the are the only fish that I have so needless to say I tossed them in my tank. I do have a clean up crew, a couple of pederson shrimp and a couple frags. I noticed that the bigger one of the pair of fish was swimming back and forth violently. At closer inspection I could see a white dot on his eye. I tried a freshwater dip and did see some really tiny particles. Not sure if it is flukes or some other type of disease. Can someone help me identify what it could be or am I being paranoid? I’ve learned my lesson and with be QT every fish that I get from here on out.
AC342495-C85E-4D01-B2C3-FECB4D59CA6F.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot is a little difficult to see clearly but my guess is it's a minor injury or perhaps even a grain of sand or other debris. I would observe closely for a day or two to see if any changes, good or bad, occur. Further diagnosis will then be easier.

OP
OP
Chuck90

Chuck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot is a little difficult to see clearly but my guess is it's a minor injury or perhaps even a grain of sand or other debris. I would observe closely for a day or two to see if any changes, good or bad, occur. Further diagnosis will then be easier.
Thanks for the reply. I hope it’s just a minor injury my fish would not let me get a good picture. This one is a tad less blurry ‍♂️
CB9D3CA1-7572-43CB-88B8-9F2D163FF91F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I hope it’s just a minor injury my fish would not let me get a good picture. This one is a tad less blurry ‍♂️
CB9D3CA1-7572-43CB-88B8-9F2D163FF91F.jpeg
This appears to be mucus. If fish is breathing normal, you can give it a 5 min freshwater dip in the same temperature as display tank and see if it dislodges. If not, treat in quarantine with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 to prevent infection and allow to clear should it be associated with injury.

OP
OP
Chuck90

Chuck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be mucus. If fish is breathing normal, you can give it a 5 min freshwater dip in the same temperature as display tank and see if it dislodges. If not, treat in quarantine with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 to prevent infection and allow to clear should it be associated with injury.
Should I treat for flukes as well? Should I treat both of the fish? I found some maracyn oxy is this the same stuff?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Maracyn Oxy is a different product. Maracyn 1 is what you should try in this case (if the eye gets worse).

It is unlikely that this is a fluke - the clownfish is tank raised, so unless it was exposed to fluke infested fish, it wouldn't get that disease. Clownfish are fairly resistant to flukes in any event.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back