Help! Why is my Aussie torch shriveling up all of a sudden?

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who is passionate about torches and euphyllia in general (entire tank dedicated to them, with more than 24+ torches and 24+ other euphyllia), there are times when there is nothing we can do to stop the progression that you are experiencing. I've had aussies for 3-4 months up and completely die for no reason, when all the other euphyllia are doing great.
Dipping excessively is only adding insult to injury... I've also realized that putting torches in a DT is a gamble. My fish have destroyed everyone I put in... no not eating, just constantly rubbing up on them and irritating them to complete failure.
Stable parameters (as vetteguy and merkey noted), consistent low flow, consistent low-mod lighting is the key to success. Even then, it's a crap shoot at best.
My best guess is that there is something in the water they came from (bacteria or algae) that we just don't have in our tanks, and that's leading to the loss.
From the first pic, it's clear that there is tissue recession on the skeleton. Once that happens, you may as well consider it done...
Just my 2 cents...
That's so heartbreaking...I just wish there was something to do to save it, or even a very clear answer as to what was the cause. My 2 hammers on the other side of the tank are absolutely thriving, even at this very moment, so I'm just really confused as to why this took such a bad turn.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ive seen this before, usually it will detach itself from the base of the skeleton and poof its over.

Sorry its not much advise but i dont have a fix on this one either, ive had this happen before. Its not easy to always determine cuases and not all corals fiar the same way.

If its just one coral unhappy, dont go making changes, let it go. This is one of the bighest mistakes ive done was to try correct my tank for being concerned over one unhappy coral to then boom all other corals are unhappy. Its not worth it. Some corals just dont do as well as others.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's so heartbreaking...I just wish there was something to do to save it, or even a very clear answer as to what was the cause. My 2 hammers on the other side of the tank are absolutely thriving, even at this very moment, so I'm just really confused as to why this took such a bad turn.
This most likely isn't your fault. My aussie has gone through a lot of hell with me. And a tuxedo urchin who kept moving it and dropping it on the sand for a week. Took me a long time to get the torch in a stable place. Was very difficult to mount the torch. Had very little base left. Alk drops as well from 8.5 to 7. Magnesium drop from 1400 to 1250. It survive and never showed signs of distress. It just didn't like when I had added new gonioporas. My aussie hates goniopora corals and is slowly learning to accept their presence.
I have learned from my mistakes, and never buying another torch from a vendor. It will now be from people home growing them.

I wish you the best if your reef keeping.

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This most likely isn't your fault. My aussie has gone through a lot of hell with me. And a tuxedo urchin who kept moving it and dropping it on the sand for a week. Took me a long time to get the torch in a stable place. Was very difficult to mount the torch. Had very little base left. Alk drops as well from 8.5 to 7. Magnesium drop from 1400 to 1250. It survive and never showed signs of distress. It just didn't like when I had added new gonioporas. My aussie hates goniopora corals and is slowly learning to accept their presence.
I have learned from my mistakes, and never buying another torch from a vendor. It will now be from people home growing them.

I wish you the best if your reef keeping.
That's good to know. I'll start looking to people who are growing them rather than the vendors like you mentioned.

I do hope it's nothing I've done. I'm new to the hobby, but I've been extra slow and careful with everything because I'd rather take my time than rush and have a crash. Seems I'm just having some bad luck at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I'll start looking to people who are growing them rather than the vendors like you mentioned.

I do hope it's nothing I've done. I'm new to the hobby, but I've been extra slow and careful with everything because I'd rather take my time than rush and have a crash. Seems I'm just having some bad luck at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words.
That's why I posted what I did... we've all been there and unfortunately, there is nothing you could have done differently. We care for the water and ensure a good ecosystem; whether they survive or not is out of our control. It's taken me quite some time to appreciate that!
I've had torches thrive for months and then just die, when the torch next to them and all the other euphyllia are happy. No clear reason or rationale.
Just keep doing what you're doing; patience and persistence! We've all had good tank days and bad tank days, that's for sure.

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey did the torch make it, i have an aussie thats currently going thru the same thing.
Hey, I’m sorry to hear that. :(

Unfortunately mine did not pull through. It got increasingly worse and eventually got the dreaded brown jelly so I removed it to prevent the possibility of it spreading to my hammers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back