Help! Why is my Aussie torch shriveling up all of a sudden?

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aussie torch is retracted and looks shriveled for a lack of a better term. It had been doing great up until this point. The only thing that’s different about my tank is I just started adding the Red Sea Reef Energy Plus Coral Nutrition.

29 gal BioCube
Salinity: 1.027
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Alkalinity: 7.1
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1500
Phosphates: 0.08 (I know this is generally a little high, but this is my tanks norm and the torch has been doing well for weeks at this level)

0EAF21EB-EF76-4018-B258-EC75E6E1208F.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can list your parameters for diagnosis.
2 things I know that cause that look in Aussies is
Brown jelly and splitting.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to hope its from splitting. Torches will scare the world out of you when splitting. I'm worried about the weird bubble on the right head.
As far as brown jelly goes.. It would be too deep in the flesh to treat without treating now with antibiotics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk a little low, nitrate and magnesium a little high. Other than that it's either light, flow or as others have said, BJD or splitting.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be sulking because you,very added something new to the tank, I know mine do, I,very also had brown jelly, but I don,t see it in your pick

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to hope its from splitting. Torches will scare the world out of you when splitting. I'm worried about the weird bubble on the right head.
As far as brown jelly goes.. It would be too deep in the flesh to treat without treating now with antibiotics
God I hope its splitting. It was doing so well before, which is why I'm so worried that it's changed all of a sudden.

I've been looking all over for any sign of brown jelly, but don't see anything...

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk a little low, nitrate and magnesium a little high. Other than that it's either light, flow or as others have said, BJD or splitting.
I was thinking the Alkalinity was a bit low. I'm usually around 8 or so. My nitrates are always steady at that level also, but perhaps it's not happy about it now? I didn't think light or flow would be the problem since it was doing well up until this point and I haven't changed anything about either one of those.

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be sulking because you,very added something new to the tank, I know mine do, I,very also had brown jelly, but I don,t see it in your pick
You think it could be from the Red Sea nutrients I started adding? It's only been 2 days since I started, and I started at about half the recommended dose to try to ease into it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the Alkalinity was a bit low. I'm usually around 8 or so. My nitrates are always steady at that level also, but perhaps it's not happy about it now? I didn't think light or flow would be the problem since it was doing well up until this point and I haven't changed anything about either one of those.
If you alk is usually 8 and then dropped to 7 it could be the issue. Stability is key.

OP
OP
heyjanie

heyjanie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you alk is usually 8 and then dropped to 7 it could be the issue. Stability is key.
Ah good to know...I wonder if I need to start dosing. Usually my water changes were enough to keep it up. Unless my reading is off, but I'm using the Hanna checker so it should be good.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a lot of damage. A lot of white skeleton showing. You can't bring 7alk up to 8 right Away. 7.5 might be safe. This could be polyp bail out

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back