Help with 180 gallon mixed reef build

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on getting everything together for a 180 gallon reef tank with a 55 gallon sump. I plan on having a mixed reef with softies and LPS. Don't plan on SPS, but obviously that could change down the road. I'm trying to do research in various forums but there's just so much info it's hard to figure out which direction to go.

I already purchased an old 180 gallon oceanic tank. The middle third of the tank has a glass brace across the top. My first question is what effect this will have on lighting. I already purchased three AI Prime HD lights. I'm assuming I'll have to focus on low light species in this middle third?

Next, I'm trying to figure out which flow pumps to use. It looks like for this tank a lot of people recommend either Vortech MP40s or Tunze 6155. Is that overkill for what I'm going for?

Any other advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle bar shouldn't be a big issue. The light from the sides will fill over into that area. Plus, you are going to have different coral that prefer different lights anyhow.

Those pumps are good size for that tank. I prefer the Tunze... just think it's a better made product and company and way better value over Ecotech. Just make sure they will work with 1/2" glass. You can also look at a couple Icecap 4k Gyres for that tank. They are all priced and move water nicely.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination of 2 wavs and 2 of the red sea gyres on my 180. I have to keep the green clean to get sufficient flow, but I'm trying to grow sps and I have a lot of rock work.

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on getting everything together for a 180 gallon reef tank with a 55 gallon sump. I plan on having a mixed reef with softies and LPS. Don't plan on SPS, but obviously that could change down the road. I'm trying to do research in various forums but there's just so much info it's hard to figure out which direction to go.

I already purchased an old 180 gallon oceanic tank. The middle third of the tank has a glass brace across the top. My first question is what effect this will have on lighting. I already purchased three AI Prime HD lights. I'm assuming I'll have to focus on low light species in this middle third?

Next, I'm trying to figure out which flow pumps to use. It looks like for this tank a lot of people recommend either Vortech MP40s or Tunze 6155. Is that overkill for what I'm going for?

Any other advise is greatly appreciated. Tha
I have a 180 build with glass tops and dont notice a difference in lighting, it might diffuse a little but my corals are still growing great, Curently using hydor pumps but will get mp40s here in the next couple weeks! start a build thread so we can see your progress

OP
OP
B

BigRedHair92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm still trying to figure out how to work everything on this site, and not sure how to get my build thread linked in my profile. I have a build thread actually!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back