Help with 750 XXL build w/shed, Heavy SPS mixed Reef

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Help critiquing 750 XXL build – Connected to outside shed

Hello, I had to tear down my 250 Reefer and moved into a new place where I will be looking to build a 750 XXL with a shed built behind/outside for equipment and easier cleaning.

I looked at many other threads in the forum before coming to the build but want to improve the build it possible. If there is a better part or idea, I’m really open to it. I’m looking to start ordering the parts soon.

The tank will be located in a recessed wall area that allows for 4-5” to the left and right of the tank. There is electricity built above and below, and the floor is reinforced in that area to handle the weight. I have installed a drain inside , and directly outside of the house. Right behind the tank, outside of the house I plan to build a 60”wide x 24” deep x84” tall (interior measurements) shed that will be insulated but not temperature controlled. For this reason I plan to not keep my sump in it. The exterior shed has cold water, sink, and electricity. I plan to run chaeto in the sump.

In house: Tank, Sump, Skimmer, Heater

Outside Shed : Apex, UV Sterilizer, Chiller, Salt Mixing Station, Calcium Reactor, ATO?, pump drain from sump to outside drain.

I plan to run each of the above outside components outside separately using a seperate inline pump (Vectra S1 or similar), so that it does not add heat to the water, and is separately controllable.

I am planning to grow mixed reef, but heavy SPS. My issue before was that I had great growth and stability , but my colors were sub par compared to other tanks. I think I may have been overloading my tank with livestock, not using a dosing system, and t5.

I do not like the super blue LED On look, so I am hoping to get whiter T5 to balance out the CoralAB setting from Radions.

Here it is:

Tank : Red Sea 750 XXL with custom cabinets above to house lighting, possible acrylic mesh

Return Pump : Vectra L2, Dual - *Credit Hydrored

Circulation pumps : MP 60 x 2 . Should I look into other types of pumps like Gyre?

Pumps to each outside equipment : Vectra S1

UV: Aqua UV 57 watt

Protein Skimmer : Reef Octo Elite 220, Auto Neck Clean, Davy Jones Skimmate Locker, BRS Co2 Scrubber

Lighting : Radion G5 x 2 (regular), 61” Hybrid T5HO Aquatic Life 4x80 W , H380 Refugium, ATI Aquablue T5

Heat : Need help with this one, is anything better? : Finnex 500W Titanium

Chiller : JBJ ¼

Calcium Reactor : DASTACO2 A2, Alkatronic

Controller / Doser : Neptune Kit

ATO : Spectrapure ATO, External reservoir (not yet picked ), Aqua FX Barracuda (can change this)

Rock : Asking Joker to do a build

Sand : None, barebottom (should I paint the bottom of my tank sand color from outside or inside?, or leave it alone)

Salt Mixing Station : Smart Buddie Booster, 2 40 gallon ntotanks, Mp40, Heater

Fish : Anthias, Clown, and Tang

My goal is to make it so I have an optimal 750 setup for high end reefing, but maintenance / eq and cleaning can be simplified by a small outside shed.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My input, you had better start a build thread in the Member Tanks section and link to it here so I can follow along!

OP
OP
willpower

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ah, Maybe a mod can help me move this there to prevent the double post? I saw some of the tanks were posted here thats why. Thanks!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend dual return pumps if possible. For heaters I use BRS titanium, pick a controller of your choice

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back