Help with a clown and nem tank

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I need a bit of help choosing the correct tank size for my ocellaris clownfish.

I’ve got the options to pick between a 96Litre (25G US) and a 120L (31G US) tank. I’d normally always go the bigger sized tank, but I’ve found an amazing deal on some new preowned equipment which essentially halves my cost of initial setup.

Would two ocellaris clownfish, and one BTA, be okay in the smaller size tank? Or should I go for the bigger one, and forgo the cost saved? The money isn’t an issue in getting a bigger tank, but I don’t mind saving money where I can!
Hope this makes enough sense, thank you anyone who can help me out!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go for whatever 1 you prefer clownfish recommend 20 gallon so you are fine with 25 the 31 gallon would obv be better

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is not a limiting option, I’d get the largest size available. Chances are better than even that you’ll want to eventually upgrade, and it’s likely to happen soon, so save yourself that small regret now. Even though the difference isn’t much, it’ll compound by being helpful in multiple ways: more real estate means more scaping options, more space for the nem to move about and find an ideal location, more water volume for stability (a nem’s best friend).
I had a 13 for about a month before I started planning my 40, lol.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is not a limiting option, I’d get the largest size available. Chances are better than even that you’ll want to eventually upgrade, and it’s likely to happen soon, so save yourself that small regret now. Even though the difference isn’t much, it’ll compound by being helpful in multiple ways: more real estate means more scaping options, more space for the nem to move about and find an ideal location, more water volume for stability (a nem’s best friend).
I had a 13 for about a month before I started planning my 40, lol.
I’m pretty certain I won’t want to upgrade, but when I think about how much I love the ocean, as well as sea life, it’s pretty easy to see that I would want to upgrade haha. I’m only planning my tank and already it’s so addicting. I might go the bigger one, gives me much more wriggle room.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. With a 25 gallon tank you'll have to be careful what you add with the clowns. They get territorial. Also keep in mind you should wait close to a year before adding a nem. Thats a long time to go without getting the itch to add more livestock.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. With a 25 gallon tank you'll have to be careful what you add with the clowns. They get territorial. Also keep in mind you should wait close to a year before adding a nem. Thats a long time to go without getting the itch to add more livestock.
Why do I have to wait so long for the nem?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I have to wait so long for a nem?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nem needs a mature tank i have seen threads on here people add them straight away and they melt away

Back