Help with agressive regal tang.

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot tank stocked with 3 clowns, picasso trigger regal tang and a regal angel.

Some days the blue tang is a little pain, chasing the regal angel when there paths cross or it sees it near the rock work. This happens maybe once every ten minutes and the encounters are only brief.

Is there anything that can be done to calm it down?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a yellow or a purple tang. That will take the aggression off the angel. Just make sure the new fish is eating well and qt’d. All my regal tangs have been model citizens, but always with a yellow or purple in the tank with them.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try hanging a mirror on the tank. He'll see himself and think another of his kind is in the tank and now focus on the mirror. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I once had an agressive yellow tang and tried the mirror trick. The tank disregarded, but my long nose yellow butterfly would swim by and go into dorsal spikes out mode.

1601138495314.png

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a yellow or a purple tang. That will take the aggression off the angel. Just make sure the new fish is eating well and qt’d. All my regal tangs have been model citizens, but always with a yellow or purple in the tank with them.

Would a fox face or sailfin tang work? Purple and yellows are hard to get hold of here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back