Help with Algae

MattRutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I am new to the hobby and have my tank for about 7 months. over the last couple of months I have noticed that the algae is getting worse in my tank. I started by running Rowaphos and carbon in a reactor then I dosed Res Sea Algae Management. I am getting 0 Nitrate and 0 phosphate. Am I right to start thinking it could be Dino's? I clean the glass and
rock everyday but it always comes back. Any help will be gratefully accepted.

thumbnail_image2.jpg
thumbnail_image1.jpg
thumbnail_image0.jpg

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like dinos. Just an unfortunate after-effect of a new tank and a reefer trying to eradicate algae. No algae=no competition for dinos. Algae is our friend

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, some algae lends balance to the ecosystem. If you have bottomed out nitrate and phosphate you will have continued tank problems and your corals will decline over time in health. You need to get those numbers up. Reduce lights for now to 6 hours with no white just blue. Get good cleaner crew and siphon out with weekly water changes.

OP
OP
M

MattRutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I will definitely change my lights. I have read online about raising the water temperature up slightly to help get rid of dinos, is this something that I could do?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I will definitely change my lights. I have read online about raising the water temperature up slightly to help get rid of dinos, is this something that I could do?
Some say 82 degrees but then what happens to fish and coral? Your problem doesn't appear significant yet and can probably be mitigated with the aforementioned recommendations but it is not something that goes away overnight. Plan for battle over a couple months. Focused on stabil parameters, good husbandry, etc...try to avoid bandaid chemical treatments. If you feed your fish and corals more your numbers will come up. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for several weeks to bring mine up and once I did, the whole tank seemed to come alive better with coral health and corraline forming. I'm still in the battle but can see real improvement.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back