Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro for what. Anemone looks fine other than being in its own zone
Allow it to take hold of new environment and adjust accordingly
Cipro is just in case.

With nems, think of them like fish. People keep prime, selcom, copper, general cure, prazi, etc for the fish as a just in case

Cipro is the same thing. To have on hand just in case. Sucks having to wait 3 days for it to arrive when a nem is spitting its guts and melting.

OP
OP
S

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just doing Nem things. Long term having cipro on hand is a good idea. I am not familiar with your lights but question the intensity. An upgrade may be in the future on those.
I have been thinking about upgrading the lights. The more I read about it the more I dont know what lights to buy haha. I was hoping to not break the bank on my first set as I was hoping to upgrade my tank in the future to a larger tank and would need to purchase lights again. Are any of the 600W LED lights on amazon any good or is this something I should look at BRS to purchase and expand upon for my next tank? Since I am new to the reef game any suggestions would be great.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about upgrading the lights. The more I read about it the more I dont know what lights to buy haha. I was hoping to not break the bank on my first set as I was hoping to upgrade my tank in the future to a larger tank and would need to purchase lights again. Are any of the 600W LED lights on amazon any good or is this something I should look at BRS to purchase and expand upon for my next tank? Since I am new to the reef game any suggestions would be great.
Black box lights will work just fine. Viparspectra are decent and decently priced. Just got to set them lower to start and then slowly work them up in intensity. Tons of threads to read on here about them.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box lights will work just fine. Viparspectra are decent and decently priced. Just got to set them lower to start and then slowly work them up in intensity. Tons of threads to read on here about them.
Agree. These will do the trick.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept my bubble tips for years with the nicrew reef lights on Amazon. They illuminate well and look great for under $100. They won’t cut it for corals though.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 3 years running, your tank is Mature enough. That isn't the issue here (if there is one)

My anenomes do best with alk North of 8.5 and at least 10 ppm nitrates.

You don't Need to feed your nem. Especially when it isn't settled and comfortable. External feeding only ads another layer of stress which doesn't need to be there at this time.

The foot does look a little inflated and wonky but that could just be that it isn't settled yet.

Try to get some nutrients in the water. Raise pH up a bit and watch it.

Like Jekyl mentioned above, having Cipro on hand is a good thing when dealing with nems.
How do you recommend raising the PH?

OP
OP
S

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They inflate the foot to move. It'll shrink down once it locks in and is settled.

If this nem was in my tank, I wouldn't be worried about infection at this point. Looks like it's just trying to find it's happy place.

Quick update. I have lowered the photoperiod in the refugium in an effort to increase nitrates. I did notice this morning while feeding that the anemone's mouth appeared to be open (bubbled out). It is hard to tell in the pictures but this seemed abnormal.

Not sure at what point I should worry or start taking some actions. (Cipro ordered but will not be delivered until Thursday)

It is also upside down and hiding from the light it appears. Do people ever relocate the anemones so that you are able to see/monitor them better or is that generally very stressful for them? When I introduced it to the tank it grabbed the first rock it touched which was very high in the water column (about 4 inches deep) it has since migrated to the bottom of this rock about 6 inches deep. I wasnt sure if the light was too intense and it needed to be further down in the water column.

Attachments

• 20220131_131704.jpg
    20220131_131704.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220131_131737.jpg
    20220131_131737.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 24

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I have lowered the photoperiod in the refugium in an effort to increase nitrates. I did notice this morning while feeding that the anemone's mouth appeared to be open (bubbled out). It is hard to tell in the pictures but this seemed abnormal.

Not sure at what point I should worry or start taking some actions. (Cipro ordered but will not be delivered until Thursday)

It is also upside down and hiding from the light it appears. Do people ever relocate the anemones so that you are able to see/monitor them better or is that generally very stressful for them? When I introduced it to the tank it grabbed the first rock it touched which was very high in the water column (about 4 inches deep) it has since migrated to the bottom of this rock about 6 inches deep. I wasnt sure if the light was too intense and it needed to be further down in the water column.
Do not touch it. Unless you have to remove for medical treatment or if it's dying/dead.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do not touch it or try to move it. These are mobile creatures. They go where they want and handling them is very hard on them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back