Help with baby hippo tang

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this 1" guy in pretty rough shape, but trying my best to nurse him back.

Currently in 20 long QT tank running 2.0 Copper Power, no tank mates.

He's eating Mysis and Brine soaked in Selcon and Kanaplex/focus, but I'm concerned about his coloration and he's pretty weird behaviorally ... Only swims by this powerhead all day unless I turn off the powerhead then he's laying flat on it, or in a corner. Occasionally he will swim the tank for a second before going back to the powerhead.

Is the pale/splotchiness a concern? I know the abrasion is there, but seems to be getting better.

Amm: 0
N02: 0
N03: 0
Salinity 1.026
Temp 79

Thanks

IMG_4060.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is swimming into the current created by power flow that’s very indicative of velvet.

Velvet feeds in the gills firstly and is considered a fast killer in comparison to ick.

He’s in copper....keep it up and do everything to feed....watch for ammonia build up....

Id let him have the flow if he wants, unless it’s tossing him...velvet suffocates the fish so he may be trying to breath...and currrent would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two pictures from today: Some of the white is from water stains on the glass.

Currently in 2.0 copper power and first dose General Cure. Still eating Kanaplex.

Seems to be doing better color wise, but I really wish I could get an answer on what the problem is so I can treat it. All this fish does is sit on the suction cup all day.

Attachments

• IMG_4083.jpeg
    IMG_4083.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4089.jpeg
    IMG_4089.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pictures without as much in the way.

Still Eating.

Looks like the abrasion is healing on its own.. but the splotchy color, hiding all the time and clamped fins are making me worry.

Any thoughts? Thanks

IMG_4100.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny hepatus are tough to work with. Try high density, fatty foods like diced mysids and less brine shrimp. Even flake food is good if it will take it.
Tiny hepatus live in branching coral, so they tend to lay in crevices when they can, very different from the adults. However, that habitat also means they can’t be netted and so are often caught with cyanide.
I think your treatment course is sound....
Jay

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this 1" guy in pretty rough shape, but trying my best to nurse him back.

Currently in 20 long QT tank running 2.0 Copper Power, no tank mates.

He's eating Mysis and Brine soaked in Selcon and Kanaplex/focus, but I'm concerned about his coloration and he's pretty weird behaviorally ... Only swims by this powerhead all day unless I turn off the powerhead then he's laying flat on it, or in a corner. Occasionally he will swim the tank for a second before going back to the powerhead.

Is the pale/splotchiness a concern? I know the abrasion is there, but seems to be getting better.

Amm: 0
N02: 0
N03: 0
Salinity 1.026
Temp 79

Thanks

IMG_4060.jpg
I took a chance on a Petco hippo tang almost a year ago, maybe just a bit bigger than yours. For the entire 3 months in my 55 QT it hid under the return lip of the hang on skimmer coming out only to eat. Seemed discolored a bit at times and just kept feeding. Now in the display is doing well, good color, but still likes to duck away into its claimed crevice periodically for a few minutes. So had similar experience and hopefully yours will improve too.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance on a Petco hippo tang almost a year ago, maybe just a bit bigger than yours. For the entire 3 months in my 55 QT it hid under the return lip of the hang on skimmer coming out only to eat. Seemed discolored a bit at times and just kept feeding. Now in the display is doing well, good color, but still likes to duck away into its claimed crevice periodically for a few minutes. So had similar experience and hopefully yours will improve too.

Thanks, this gives me hope! He's quite a drama queen but never skips a meal so that's good.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this today, any idea what is going on with the end of his tail? My first guess is bacterial.. but I'm not sure what to do because he's knee deep in Copper Power and General Cure right now..

IMG_4109.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back