Help with Chaeto in Fijicube 20 Sump

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Fijicube 20 sump and have been using the refugium section for chaeto. This section measures 5.2" by 5.8" by 10" of water. I have been using this cheap grow light mounted to the sides of the refugium.

It has been several months and the chaeto isn't really growing and the entire refugium is covered in hair algae which breaks off and is filling up my return section. I am wondering if the light is not well suited for chaeto and have been thinking about getting a Kessil H80 to mount on top. My concerns are that with such a small top surface area will the chaeto not exposed to the top get enough light. Also the way the section is setup the flow doesn't really get to the bottom and I am afraid most of the water just flows over the top.

Does anyone have some advise on how to properly use this space. What light would work best and if flow needs to be changed.

Attached are 3 pictures showing the refugium, the light and the state of the chaeto.

Thanks,
Nathan

IMG_20200521_120830.jpg IMG_20200521_120848.jpg IMG_20200521_120918.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide more information about your tank, nutrient levels, water change schedule, and the hair algae issue? I have the exact same light on my HOB refugium right now (~13"x8"x5") and it grows cheato faster then most of my other reugium lights I've played with. It's always possible it's the light, but given the proliferation of hair algae and the look of your cheato, I suspect your problem isn't with the light.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto requires trace amounts of iron to grow. When iron gets depleted, then the chaeto will die. When I started growing chaeto in my refugium, it did great for a few months. When it died it released a very large dose of phosphate and nitrate (everything that it used to grow). Once I discovered the iron requirement here on reef2reef, I got new chaeto and dosed some iron. My chaeto has grown very well since then. I dose a small amount of iron every few weeks and harvest out chaeto every week or two.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Details

• Tank: FijiCube 32EXT
  • Light: AI Prime 16HD running J's Reef Profile turned down to 75%
  • Skimmer: Reef Octopus essence 130
  • Water Changes: Automatic nightly change handled by stenner pump doing 5 gallons every 20 days
  • Return Pump: Octo varios S-2 at level 2
  • Powerhead: Nero 5 Running at 30% random
  • Fish: 1 clown, 1 chromis, 1 dwarf angel
  • Coral: Softies and LPS
  • Cleanup: Mix of snails and hermit crabs
  • Sump: FijiCube 20
    • First stage is filter floss changed every 2 days
    • Second stage 20 marine pure balls
    • Third Skimmer compartment
    • Fourth refugium with chaeto using this light LED Light 10pm - 8am
    • Fifth return section
  • Auto Top Off: AutoAqua ATO
  • Dosing: Tropic Marin All for Reef daily ~9ml
  • ALK: ~8
  • Feeding: 2 times weekly rods frozen, 1-2 times weekly flake / pellet food
  • Feeding Coral: 2 times weekly Reef Roids

IMG_20200518_155507-01.jpg IMG_20200521_123959.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto requires trace amounts of iron to grow. When iron gets depleted, then the chaeto will die. When I started growing chaeto in my refugium, it did great for a few months. When it died it released a very large dose of phosphate and nitrate (everything that it used to grow). Once I discovered the iron requirement here on reef2reef, I got new chaeto and dosed some iron. My chaeto has grown very well since then. I dose a small amount of iron every few weeks and harvest out chaeto every week or two.

What supplement are you using to provide the iron?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brightwell Ferrion.
IME, when chaeto lacks sufficient iron, it start to turn white or grey. That is a clear signal that you've let the iron level get too low.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide more information about your tank, nutrient levels, water change schedule, and the hair algae issue? I have the exact same light on my HOB refugium right now (~13"x8"x5") and it grows cheato faster then most of my other reugium lights I've played with. It's always possible it's the light, but given the proliferation of hair algae and the look of your cheato, I suspect your problem isn't with the light.

How long do you run your light for?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my HOB refugium I run it for 14 hours a day and I have a second light for a stand alone cheato container that I run for 12 hours per day.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run my light for about 14 hours a day, opposite of the DT lights. It helps PH stay more stable (less fluctuation day-to-day).

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 14 hours is way over kill.
My refugium Kessil runs for 10 hours and I wouldn’t push that if the PH wasn’t an issue.

I did have hair algae too, did! Here’s what I did, I cleaned as much as I could and tried not to leave any hair algae left. Once I did this, dialed the kessil light back just a tad,the Chateo took off! Guess what, no hair algae at all.

also, make sure your AI Prime is focused o just your Chaeto. If the light hits anywhere on the sump, it can grow algae.
There’s a few 3D sellers here that can make a piece to cover the light so it can direct the light to that one spot.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 14 hours is way over kill.
My refugium Kessil runs for 10 hours and I wouldn’t push that if the PH wasn’t an issue.

I did have hair algae too, did! Here’s what I did, I cleaned as much as I could and tried not to leave any hair algae left. Once I did this, dialed the kessil light back just a tad,the Chateo took off! Guess what, no hair algae at all.

also, make sure your AI Prime is focused o just your Chaeto. If the light hits anywhere on the sump, it can grow algae.
There’s a few 3D sellers here that can make a piece to cover the light so it can direct the light to that one spot.

I am not using the prime for the chaeto that is on the main display. I have cleaned and removed all the hair algea, 3d printed some new light blockers to help keep the light more contained to the refugium and started dosing chaeto grow twice a week. We shall see if that helps!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following this- hopefully you start to see improvement!

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not using the prime for the chaeto that is on the main display. I have cleaned and removed all the hair algea, 3d printed some new light blockers to help keep the light more contained to the refugium and started dosing chaeto grow twice a week. We shall see if that helps!
Can’t wait to see it!!!!!

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following also... my chaeto is turning white and breaking apart. Have the chaetogrow and a hanna phosphorous ULR on its way from BRS... hope it arrives before the chaeto dies off completely.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 2 cups of new chaeto yesterday, I have added that to my fuge and have almost finished printing a new led mount which should limit light bleed into the rest of the sump. I will update with new pictures shortly. I left the old chaeto in to see if the chaeto grow is having any impact.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a lot of details but I didn't see NO3 and PO4 numbers posted. if you follow yhe cheato threads, many issues are that the tanks is already stripped of the NO3 and PO4 the cheato needs, and then silly as it sounds, changes are made to grow cheato.

The gha is more resourceful that cheato , which is one of the advantages of an ATS which relies on cultivating those algae, which further has me suspecting low NO3 and PO3.

OP
OP
N

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a lot of details but I didn't see NO3 and PO4 numbers posted. if you follow yhe cheato threads, many issues are that the tanks is already stripped of the NO3 and PO4 the cheato needs, and then silly as it sounds, changes are made to grow cheato.

The gha is more resourceful that cheato , which is one of the advantages of an ATS which relies on cultivating those algae, which further has me suspecting low NO3 and PO3.

I think you are probably correct. I measured my P03 and it was essentialy 0 ( hard to tell using API test kit). I am not sure what the right solution is to that. I think this negligble phosphate levels may also be negatively affecting my zoas ( they are shrinking ). If the best way to increase phosphates to feed more and skim less?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back