Help with clown fish

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

My black ocellaris clown showed cloudy signs and color fading about two weeks ago, which people were saying was definitely brooklynella.

I treated him with paraguard baths (pesticide medicine) , and FW dips which was not effective, and his tail even turned white on one side with a slimy texture after a week.

after finally getting my hands on some formalin, I’ve given him two formalin baths.( 37% formaldehyde )

Though some of the cloudiness cleared up, his tail is still slimy, and tail fin seems damaged, and overall not healthy. He has never stopped eating.

Now this is what I dont understand: if it is brooklynella, then why hasnt my other clown, or my 6line wrasse been affected? i thought brook spreads like wildfire, thought after 2 weeks they both seem perfectly fine with no signs of illness. Could this be something else and not brook?? Should i continue with formalin baths? or should i donate him to a fish store ? I currently bagged him as I was about to take him to a fish store to return, as i dont know what else to do. Posting here first to hear from you guys. Anyways, thanks for reading and look forward to reading ur thoughts

(First pic is a week ago, second pic is current)

45EA8F4D-A2F1-462B-8F9A-621FDF896F49.jpeg image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

My black ocellaris clown showed cloudy signs and color fading about two weeks ago, which people were saying was definitely brooklynella.

I treated him with paraguard baths (pesticide medicine) , and FW dips which was not effective, and his tail even turned white on one side with a slimy texture after a week.

after finally getting my hands on some formalin, I’ve given him two formalin baths.( 37% formaldehyde )

Though some of the cloudiness cleared up, his tail is still slimy, and tail fin seems damaged, and overall not healthy. He has never stopped eating.

Now this is what I dont understand: if it is brooklynella, then why hasnt my other clown, or my 6line wrasse been affected? i thought brook spreads like wildfire, thought after 2 weeks they both seem perfectly fine with no signs of illness. Could this be something else and not brook?? Should i continue with formalin baths? or should i donate him to a fish store ? I currently bagged him as I was about to take him to a fish store to return, as i dont know what else to do. Posting here first to hear from you guys. Anyways, thanks for reading and look forward to reading ur thoughts

(First pic is a week ago, second pic is current)

45EA8F4D-A2F1-462B-8F9A-621FDF896F49.jpeg image.jpg

Do you know the concentration/dose you used for the formalin?

Tough to see in the bag, but it appears the clown has improved in regards to the Brooklynella, but may have a secondary bacterial infection involving the caudal fin - we worked on that issue before didn't we?

jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With this fish still eating and clearing up and improvement noticed, he stands a good chance.
Bath should have been initial treatment followed by actual treatment in quarantine followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the concentration/dose you used for the formalin?

Tough to see in the bag, but it appears the clown has improved in regards to the Brooklynella, but may have a secondary bacterial infection involving the caudal fin - we worked on that issue before didn't we?

jay
The injured and whitened caudal fin is a recent development, any ideas?

as for the formalin i used 1 mL in one Liter of tank water, for 50 mins, and then again a day later. It’s also 15% methanol in the formalin mix.

But how is it that the other fish not been affected by brook??? I thought it spread quickly and aggressively.

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this fish still eating and clearing up and improvement noticed, he stands a good chance.
Bath should have been initial treatment followed by actual treatment in quarantine followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
I don’t have a quarantine tank… my only option is to continue bathing in formalin. That said, should i bother with it? or is it futile

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t have a quarantine tank… my only option is to continue bathing in formalin. That said, should i bother with it? or is it futile
Better than no treatment. I personally would lower concentration now that baths have been administered

OP
OP
M

maddy999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better than no treatment. I personally would lower concentration now that baths have been administered
Got it, thanks.

let’s say I am able to rid the clown of brook entirely, would the brook remain in my tank and target him again? Or once cured will he be fine. Also, relating to that, how is it that my other clown and my wrasse havent been affected by the brook? i thought it spread very easily

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got it, thanks.

let’s say I am able to rid the clown of brook entirely, would the brook remain in my tank and target him again? Or once cured will he be fine. Also, relating to that, how is it that my other clown and my wrasse havent been affected by the brook? i thought it spread very easily
Brook can hang around at least 6 weeks- My recommendation. . . Once it clears up, treat with ruby Rally pro at 50% dosage for 10 weeks - Its reef safe and contains Formalin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back