HELP WITH CLOWNFISH

ehalvie26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my clownfish for 2 months now and at the beginning everything was fine. The male was doing his dance, they were hosting together, swimming together, all the things a pair of clownfish would do. Well as of 2 weeks ago the female as become super aggressive. She would chase the male around the tank and constantly harassing him. The first few times he did his dance but eventually stopped doing it. I decided to step in when I started noticing signs of fin nip on the males clear part of his rear fin. I took the female out for a day, re scaped the tank, and introduced her back in. He immediately started doing the dance and thing seemed like they were better. Until 2 days later when she started doing the same stuff again. I did a water change, checked the parameters (everything was perfect), and it still hasn't stopped. Any idea on what I should do?

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue, a pair of clowns went from being a "pair" for a year to this (video below). I'm assuming they were never a pair, or the new environment (QT) caused them to split and re-establish dominance. So I must ask, did you change any rock work in your tank recently? A drastic change in the environment could make the clowns re-establish dominance. Also, to answer your question yes a breeder box will work, I put mine in a top-fin breeder box to give him a break from her relentless harassment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hate to say typical clown behavior but it is .
Females are just aggressive monsters and territorial

OP
OP
E

ehalvie26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue, a pair of clowns went from being a "pair" for a year to this (video below). I'm assuming they were never a pair, or the new environment (QT) caused them to split and re-establish dominance. So I must ask, did you change any rock work in your tank recently? A drastic change in the environment could make the clowns re-establish dominance. Also, to answer your question yes a breeder box will work, I put mine in a top-fin breeder box to give him a break from her relentless harassment.

I did move the rocks around about a week ago but only because the female was being hostile. I'm going to try the breeder box at least as well and hope things get better.

OP
OP
E

ehalvie26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.07.55 PM.png
Here's a picture of Svedka's tail for reference

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah typical female aggression with tail. You can turn down whites to calm female down or an anemone to keep her occupied

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown pairs often break down if there hasn't been time for the bond to strongly form. The male does need to be isolated due to the fin damage, but then, it makes it less likely that you will be able to get them back together. Everyone tries the trick of moving decor around etc. It doesn't always work. At the root of the problem of course is that clowns switch sex and it isn't always the "small one is a male" - it really is "the smaller, less dominant one, if it behaves well, will remain a male and be tolerated by the female".

Jay

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown pairs often break down if there hasn't been time for the bond to strongly form. The male does need to be isolated due to the fin damage, but then, it makes it less likely that you will be able to get them back together. Everyone tries the trick of moving decor around etc. It doesn't always work. At the root of the problem of course is that clowns switch sex and it isn't always the "small one is a male" - it really is "the smaller, less dominant one, if it behaves well, will remain a male and be tolerated by the female".

Jay

Cool, good to know. If someone isolates the male in the same tank as the female, then could that also break the bond?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if the bond is already damaged/broken, it would best best to split them up. You could always try a CAREFUL reintroduction at a later date.
Jay

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ehalvie26 I just reintroduced the clowns, there is no aggression now. So I guess if you separate them for a bit in the same tank, then reintroduce the isolated clown they may very well re-establish their bond, or at least that's what my pair seems to have done. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Back