Help with coral placement!

mpatient

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-1.jpeg
Hi all,
I have a BioCube 32 with almost every upgrade possible (incl Steves's LEDs) with the exception of a sump. I don't believe is necessary for this tank size.
I am will be moving in 2 months (short 1o minute drive) and will use the opportunity to tear down, clean and completely redo my aquascape. I have not been happy with my current scape for quite some time, and also battling Aptasia. I will be using all new rock and live sand. No old substrate /rocks will be going in. I am using about 20 lbs of Marco Rocks which I have already affixed (using E Marco 4000) to the exact look I am going for. I am pleased as punch about how it turned out, and is about 4 days into cycling in a Brute. With 2 months time to cycle, it should be good to go on move date.

I always struggle with coral placement, and would like input. All of my corals are small to medium frags, so looking for ideas on where to put them in the new set up. I have left 3 inches from glass to rocks on the front 3 sides with live TE Reef Flakes as substrate. The rock footprint is about 15x13.
Below is the list of what I have, and welcome to suggestions for any additions. I have one of each on the list. You input is appreciated!

SPS
Birds nest
Staghorn
Blue digi
Red monti cap

Toadstool leather
Neon Green Leather
Devils Hand Leather (medium size- 4 inches)
Green ricordia (one head)
Branching hammer (4 heads)
Red War Coral
Duncan (2 heads)
Green favia (5 heads)
Sun Coral (16 heads)

Ultra Blue Maxim Clam (3.5 inches)
Black maxim clam (2.5 inches)
2 Yellowhead jawfish
1 Lawnmower blenny (who is kind of a jerk)
2 small clowns

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new scape looks great. I wish I could help on placement, but I have found that my mind will change several times before its all said and done, LOL!!!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape design looks very nice and I can see why your pleased with it.

I find with corals that placement depends on their individual requirements but like @Billldg said I sometimes change my mind as well.

I tend to start the new corals on the bottom of the tank and then look at them for a while and then decide we’re they will look best

This doesn’t normally take into account we’re the coral may like it best in terms of light etc. But it’s ‘my tank’ and I have to look at it, so it needs to please me! Lol

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha my problem is finding a place to put it. So I build a 40g frag tank tied it to the main tank.

20190109_223337.jpg

20190102_175318.jpg
Haha, I thought you had golf balls all in your frag tank. I was thinking that's some aquascaping you don't see everyday lol.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems just make sure you have plenty of sump space to hold all the extra water in case of power outage.
I’m already cutting it close with a 90 display and a trigger 26, that’s been my issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back