Help with coral placement!

Discussion in 'Aquascape Discussion' started by mpatient, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:53 AM.

1. mpatient

mpatient Member

0-1.jpeg Hi all,
    I have a BioCube 32 with almost every upgrade possible (incl Steves's LEDs) with the exception of a sump. I don't believe is necessary for this tank size.
    I am will be moving in 2 months (short 1o minute drive) and will use the opportunity to tear down, clean and completely redo my aquascape. I have not been happy with my current scape for quite some time, and also battling Aptasia. I will be using all new rock and live sand. No old substrate /rocks will be going in. I am using about 20 lbs of Marco Rocks which I have already affixed (using E Marco 4000) to the exact look I am going for. I am pleased as punch about how it turned out, and is about 4 days into cycling in a Brute. With 2 months time to cycle, it should be good to go on move date.

I always struggle with coral placement, and would like input. All of my corals are small to medium frags, so looking for ideas on where to put them in the new set up. I have left 3 inches from glass to rocks on the front 3 sides with live TE Reef Flakes as substrate. The rock footprint is about 15x13.
    Below is the list of what I have, and welcome to suggestions for any additions. I have one of each on the list. You input is appreciated!

SPS
    Birds nest
    Staghorn
    Blue digi
    Red monti cap

Toadstool leather
    Neon Green Leather
    Devils Hand Leather (medium size- 4 inches)
    Green ricordia (one head)
    Branching hammer (4 heads)
    Red War Coral
    Duncan (2 heads)
    Green favia (5 heads)
    Sun Coral (16 heads)

Ultra Blue Maxim Clam (3.5 inches)
    Black maxim clam (2.5 inches)
    2 Yellowhead jawfish
    1 Lawnmower blenny (who is kind of a jerk)
    2 small clowns

Mal11224, Billldg and SPR1968 like this.
    Tags:

2. Billldg

Billldg Going off the reef end R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

The new scape looks great. I wish I could help on placement, but I have found that my mind will change several times before its all said and done, LOL!!!

SPR1968 likes this.
  3. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

Sps on top lps In the middle or floor and softies low to mid and clams on the bottom. If you change all of your rock at one time your tank will go thru another cycle.

Billldg and SPR1968 like this.
  4. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad R2R Secret Santa UK Reef Club Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

The aquascape design looks very nice and I can see why your pleased with it.

I find with corals that placement depends on their individual requirements but like @Billldg said I sometimes change my mind as well.

I tend to start the new corals on the bottom of the tank and then look at them for a while and then decide we’re they will look best

This doesn’t normally take into account we’re the coral may like it best in terms of light etc. But it’s ‘my tank’ and I have to look at it, so it needs to please me! Lol

Billldg likes this.
  5. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

Hahaha my problem is finding a place to put it. So I build a 40g frag tank tied it to the main tank.

20190109_223337.jpg

20190102_175318.jpg

Hemmdog, Evan28395950 and SPR1968 like this.
  6. MikeyA

MikeyA Member

Haha, I thought you had golf balls all in your frag tank. I was thinking that's some aquascaping you don't see everyday lol.

Hemmdog likes this.
  7. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

The ceramic balls yeah I need to get more to cover the bottom of the frag tank.

8. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

It's all tied together

20181216_210228.jpg

9. MikeyA

MikeyA Member

You have a really nice setup there!

10. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

Thanks almost 11 months old.

11. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Active Member R2R Supporter

I’m trying to do something similar with my main display and a future frag tank. Did you add the frag tank after I’m guessing? Any problems?

12. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

No problems just make sure you have plenty of sump space to hold all the extra water in case of power outage.

13. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Active Member R2R Supporter

I’m already cutting it close with a 90 display and a trigger 26, that’s been my issue.

14. DEWreefing

DEWreefing Active Member

I would do a stand alone in that case.

Hemmdog likes this.