Help with cyano please

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been slowly getting breakouts of cyano but I don’t understand what is causing it. My phos is 0.06 (hanna) nitrates are undetectable (salifert) there is flow where the cyano is as you can see the stuff waving. I have also always had a coating of browny red on the sand but the recent cyano is much different.

Any ideas why I would be getting the cyano and what the brown is? 62135138-B750-4DC4-A4BC-F57804CA038A.jpeg E1632BF4-C163-4E47-9AAC-51A64275FADA.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3185.MOV
    12.7 MB

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas why I would be getting the cyano and what the brown is?
No one that I know of has determined what causes cyano. My tanks get small spots of it occasionally. Your rocks look good.

Do you vacuum sand bed during maintenance?

Brown could be Dino or Diatoms. looks like established tank.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one that I know of has determined what causes cyano. My tanks get small spots of it occasionally. Your rocks look good.

Do you vacuum sand bed during maintenance?

Brown could be Dino or Diatoms. looks like established tank.
Yes, tank is about 2 years with plenty of coralline, maybe just keep cleaning off the Cyano?

I do vacuum the sand bed but the brown stuff is too heavy to be sucked up and congeals into a soft lump and drops faster than the sand. I don’t think it’s dinos as I had a small outbreak a year ago and it wasn’t the same

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tank is about 2 years with plenty of coralline, maybe just keep cleaning off the Cyano?

I do vacuum the sand bed but the brown stuff is too heavy to be sucked up and congeals into a soft lump and drops faster than the sand. I don’t think it’s dinos as I had a small outbreak a year ago and it wasn’t the same
Feed lightly. Skim a little wetter. Maybe monster phosphate.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 0 for nitrates is not good. Lasse has mentioned that he gets cyano when nitrate is too low. Also can cause dino.

Cyano is tough to vacuum from sand. After I vacuum, sometimes I’ll just stir it in so I don’t have to see it! Lol

Excess silicates is the usual cause for diatoms. How’s your TDS on your RODI?

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 0 for nitrates is not good. Lasse has mentioned that he gets cyano when nitrate is too low. Also can cause dino.

Cyano is tough to vacuum from sand. After I vacuum, sometimes I’ll just stir it in so I don’t have to see it! Lol

Excess silicates is the usual cause for diatoms. How’s your TDS on your RODI?
The tds is still at 0. Maybe I need to get a silicates test kit?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tds is still at 0. Maybe I need to get a silicates test kit?
Do you have algea filtration? Several macros remove silicate and lots of bad stuff. If tds is 0 it'll be fine. I agree to with stirring up but run your uv.

Back