Help with Cyano/Red Slime?

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this is cyano but I haven’t seen many pictures where it seems to only be on the rocks. Have dark red slimy stuff on the rocks that is different from the purple coraline everywhere else. It’s very difficult to remove and in most spots even scraping it with metal tongs seems to not scratch it.

1675030669577.jpeg

I don’t have any of it on the sand bed. Just the rocks (and some crustaceans…).

looking to fix it and I’m guessing the issue is unbalanced nutrients. I currently run a filter roller, fuge and GFO. I consistently have high phosphates (lowest recently 0.24 after aggressively running gfo) but always have 0 nitrates (out of test kits this second but it’s been that way for a long while).

The tank is 2 years old with rock even older than that. I’ve never dealt with it before so I’m not sure if this is a situation to dose something or try another method. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently did you notice it? Is the cyano getting worse? If it's just on the rocks, isn't affecting any coral, and isn't spreading quickly, my advice is to continue to gradually tweek your nutrients and see if it fades by itself.
It’s been there a while. I through it was coraline at first but it seems to be different. I’ve noticed more and more lately.

you can kind of see the difference here.

1675032816943.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyano I've dealt with is very easy to scrape off. I'd hesitate to use any meds/cyano treatment unless it's clearly cyano... and even then, only if it's affecting the coral.

But I'm also pretty conservative when adding ANY chemical treatments.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s what has me wondering. It feels slick, but doesn’t scrap or blow off. If I put a lot of pressure with a metal tool I can scrape a line through it. Some areas I can’t even seem to do that.

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently did you notice it? Is the cyano getting worse? If it's just on the rocks, isn't affecting any coral, and isn't spreading quickly, my advice is to continue to gradually tweek your nutrients and see if it fades by itself.
What do you mean tweaking nutrients? Like i have my phosphate at 0.02 and nitrate at 6.8 and my cyano not extending but still there at the sand.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean tweaking nutrients? Like i have my phosphate at 0.02 and nitrate at 6.8 and my cyano not extending but still there at the sand.
I mean, the OP mentioned his apparently unbalanced nutrients.

I was not making a general statement applicable to anybody who has cyano.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, the OP mentioned his apparently unbalanced nutrients.

I was not making a general statement applicable to anybody who has cyano.
0 nitrates is clearly a problem. But with high phosphates I’m hesitant to change my filtration. I’ve slowly been dialing it back (removed skimmer), less fuge light, etc.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrates is clearly a problem. But with high phosphates I’m hesitant to change my filtration. I’ve slowly been dialing it back (removed skimmer), less fuge light, etc.
Yes, I was just responding to the poster trying to get advice about THEIR tank and THEIR nutrients when I was specifically commenting about information in your original post.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't remove the skimmer, just the collection cup... maybe that's what you meant?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back