Help with Cyano

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to reefing and im having a issue with cyano in my 10 gallon nano. Ive tried chemi clean and red slime away and its to no avail. Even huge water changes once a week and still cant get it gone. Can any one give me any advice or even point me to a thread that can help me get rid of this? Please, i just want my pretty sand bed back :/

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a hob or a refugium? give us a little more detail on your tank, what you have in it, how long you have your lights on, what you feed, how old is the tank etc.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with? and what is your filter setup?

My battle consisted of using every thing under the sun and I had the best result with making sure all my filter sock, skimmer were clean daily to starve the cyano out. The big thing I found was that with cyano I was getting a false reading of phosphates until I ordered a Hanna ultra low phosphorus checker to get a true reading and cleaning my filters:)

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an all in one no sump or fuge. My filter consists of filter floss phosbond and purigen. I did increase the flow i bought and added a hydor power head. Didnt help any, if anything it spread alittle quicker after that. My lights are on a schedual everyday to turn on at 12 and ramp uo fully by 1 then die down at 9 and be off by 10. And for testing i just have a nitrate and phophate tester from AI. I had 2 fish in it but now only maybe one after being on vacation for a week the person watching it drastically over fed the tank and killed my clown fish. Still looking for the other. I have a mix of lps and soft corals.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say when i do water changes the cyan is cut back by a little bit every time from syphoning the sand but grows back just as fast.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard about treating the tank with peroxide and that works but i dont know how i feel about it.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont see how a picture matters... But i still need help with this!

1503017198054513743543.jpg

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a nutrient bloom from the ovefeeding and dead fish. Manual removal and frequent water changes.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been starting to go to 2 a week. Do you think thats to much? And how can i remove it without it going every where? My siphone wont get it unless i take a bunch of sand with it

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But ive had it even before the nutrient bloom. So i doubt thats gonna fix it.

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try picking it out by hand or with a turkey baster. Should come up in sheets. I think twice a week is fine. What are your water parameters?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was hoping a picture might give someone an opportunity to give you an easy fix, like more flow in one area I see you've got this figured out.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flows not a issue and i just doesed the tank in peroxide to kill it all out. Once i have it out ill start looking into the issue as to why its here in the first place.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your carbon?

Where do your source your water?

How about some test results? Mainly nitrate and phosphate.

In my experience, large and frequent water changes can fuel the outbreak, especially if the water isn't the best in the first place.

I completely understand your frustration, as this stuff can be a big ole unsightly bear! Provide as much info about your system and parameters as possible, and show your willing to accept the advice given.

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this problem quite recently. Cyano indicates your phosphates are high

To stop the cyano, I turned off the lights for about a week and it went away. I also did a couple large water changes after the cyano went away to remove those nutrients in the tank.

You have to get the cyano to go away first before the water changes or else youll be wasting water and the cyano will still be there.

In one of my new cycling tanks I put pukani rock. A few months down the road, I got a cyano outbreak. After some research I found out that pukani leeches phosphates, but I really didnt feel like taking apart the tank, so I left the rock in there and put some other dry rock in there to seed so if the leeching of phosphates didnt stop, I already had some LR and didnt have to restart the cycle. I eventually removed the pukani after my dry rock was seeded and my phospahtes are good and no cyano.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what can ne an effective way of removing phosphates from my 10 gallon other then running like gfo or skimming..? Double up on my phosphate media?
Ive had this problem quite recently. Cyano indicates your phosphates are high

To stop the cyano, I turned off the lights for about a week and it went away. I also did a couple large water changes after the cyano went away to remove those nutrients in the tank.

You have to get the cyano to go away first before the water changes or else youll be wasting water and the cyano will still be there.

In one of my new cycling tanks I put pukani rock. A few months down the road, I got a cyano outbreak. After some research I found out that pukani leeches phosphates, but I really didnt feel like taking apart the tank, so I left the rock in there and put some other dry rock in there to seed so if the leeching of phosphates didnt stop, I already had some LR and didnt have to restart the cycle. I eventually removed the pukani after my dry rock was seeded and my phospahtes are good and no cyano.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help you if you choose to go the chemical route

Ive tried the chemiclean and red slime chemicals and they didnt do a thing. Ive read a article that they only work on a certain type of cyano. I cant remeber the name but you can only tell the 2 apart from a microscope.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back