Help with Cyano

MarkReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's disappointing to hear that chemiclean didn't work. I was skeptical, but holy cow did it work. I did multiple water changes as well as the turkey baster route of blowing it off and sucking it out before I added chemiclean. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's disappointing to hear that chemiclean didn't work. I was skeptical, but holy cow did it work. I did multiple water changes as well as the turkey baster route of blowing it off and sucking it out before I added chemiclean. Good luck to you!
Like i said i think the major thing is that killed it is my fallow period. Im adding a ton of nuitrients into my water feeding fish. One thing ive read is that there is organic phosphates that the cyano can feed off of majorly that comes from excess nutrients.
So now it has me looking at skimmers..

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from being in fallow. I decided to rescape my tank so i took all the old live rock out and coral and added in 90% new live rock and went with more of an open scape for flow. I put about 45% of my old water back in. As well as siphoned out a good 15% of my sand. Mainly where the biggest clumps of cyano was.

The only other thing was my light decided to go hay wire and had a new one shipped on warranty.
This basically is considered a reset. So, with that new live rock, you should be golden.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This basically is considered a reset. So, with that new live rock, you should be golden.
Im hoping so. I still see a little red tint on a very small section of sand but im hoping ritual mantience will get it gone completly.
Im looking at getting a reef glass nano skimmer. I posted a thread asking if any one has any experiences with it personally but i guess not.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen one magic cure for cyano.

Seeing thread after thread on the matter I have concluded most are just guessing or repeating what they heard and almost none of the advice works by itself.

Usually a combination of factors is what it takes, but I've never figured out an exact combo either.

GFO won't cure it, carbon won't, water changes can make it worse, biopellets definitely makes it worse. Increasing circulation doesn't work. Heavy skimming doesn't work.

Light feeding helps, keeping it manually removed or stirred so that it gets into filter socks and removed helps, reduced feeding helps, algae scrubbers help. Ozone helps a little. A severe bacterial bloom will reduce it...so some type of carbon dosing must help.

I saw a guy use ich-x...didnt do **** for ich imo bit his cyano cleared while he was using it. I think it had organics that induced a carbon bloom...and I guess a massive bacterial bloom could outcompete both cyano and ick for food/oxygen/physical space etc....(works that way in humans with certain infections). It wasn't skimmed out though as he didn't run skimmer while treating.

It has water, formaldehyde (<5%), methanol (<2%), malachite green chloride (<0.1%) in it....go figure. Again, if I had to guess...the methanol was the key factor in inducing a bacterial bloom. It's also possible that the other two ingredients convert to a carbon source although formaldehyde would be initially toxic to microbial life (and I assume to fish and corals to)....which of course...bacterial cyano is a part of.

I can't really say if my nitrate reactor helps. 60 drops per second of nitrate free water processing though....one has to assume...cant hurt....just like running gfo in spite of the fact I've personally witnessed it being useless.

Interesting fact....my corals always look the best and grow the most when my cyano is also stimulated and griwibg.

When I attack the cyano via cleaner water, I lose growth in almost all my corals.

I've learned to live w a bit of cyano.

It must be something in my water, but I run it through a prefilter, two carbon blocks, two RO membranes and two DI stages......but it still has to be my water.

Polyfilter only tests for organics.

Go figure.

Never tried peroxide or UV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my hammer and frog spawn along woth acans did great when i had the out brake but my zoas hated it. Just cause the slime would always rub off on them or coat them.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my hammer and frog spawn along woth acans did great when i had the out brake but my zoas hated it. Just cause the slime would always rub off on them or coat them.

True...thats why I clean all my rocks with a tooth brush once per week, run the pumps in nutrient export mode for a couple hours and then change the filter socks.

It comes back but cleaning it once a week measns it's only a 10 min job...even with my largish tank.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a turkey baster works really well for getting just theslime off of the sand without taking allot of sand with it.

JDNels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chased this and other **** for the first 12 months. Just stop and wait until your tank is 1.5 to 2 years old and all will be right:)

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chased this and other **** for the first 12 months. Just stop and wait until your tank is 1.5 to 2 years old and all will be right:)
Id say its around its 6 month marker. Cyano seems to be the only algea im dealing with though. But ive also read thats because itll out compete the rest of the algea.

Back