Help with cycling tank

itz_jacob4268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling a tank for about a month now. My nitrates & nitrites were rising, and my ammonia was up so i knew that my Tank was starting to cycle I dosed with fritz turbo start and I added 2 damsels to help the cycle. (there was ammonia in the tank before adding fritz so the bacteria did have food) since adding the damsels 1 has perished but the other is going strong. Now my nitrates and nitrites are at 0 and my ammonia level has come down to 0.25 so I knew the tank was doing its thing but i Don’t know what to do. I am lost and need help!

bud_rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something isn't adding up here. You dosed ammonia in the beginning of the cycle and now your tank isn't showing any nitrite or nitrates after ammonia decreased? You should be seeing nitrates if it's cycled or close to being done.

OP
OP
itz_jacob4268

itz_jacob4268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something isn't adding up here. You dosed ammonia in the beginning of the cycle and now your tank isn't showing any nitrite or nitrates after ammonia decreased? You should be seeing nitrates if it's cycled or close to being done.
I agree that’s why I’m so confused I thought I was doing good they just disappeared

bud_rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd redose ammonia and if it quickly gets processed into nitrate I would add a couple fish(after water change) to produce a constant supply of ammonia. I wouldn't worry about the fish you lost. It was most likely because you added them while there was still a detectable level of ammonia present.

OP
OP
itz_jacob4268

itz_jacob4268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd redose ammonia and if it quickly gets processed into nitrate I would add a couple fish(after water change) to produce a constant supply of ammonia. I wouldn't worry about the fish you lost. It was most likely because you added them while there was still a detectable level of ammonia present.
There is still a live fish in the tank with this ammonia level and seems fine

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%

Back