Help with Desjardini Tang! Nothing online about it.

Trevorbaker96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to get my fish from my parents house into my new tank at my house I’ve established for over a year now. I didn’t have time to keep up with water quality too much over the year of them being at my parents. They were fed, topped off & filters changed. Other than that I water changed maybe twice in that year. About a week or two ago my desjardini tang had developed more rapid breathing and had this white flesh now hanging from his gills when breathing out heavily. I decided I had to move them all and hope that it was due to water quality & he would come start doing better in the new, clean tank. Well 24-48 hours into having them in my new tank after acclimating they are all doing flawless expect the desjardiji, he is still breathing as pictured. Anything I can do further ?
4AC432EA-1F6B-4A8B-A781-266F960A2328.png
7FD54303-AD59-4998-A2FE-5B678CC6BDDD.png A64FB0D6-94D8-494D-B100-0B946021DEDD.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend a treatment that will be okay with all fish? Wrasse, tangs, fox face, chromis, clowns, snails ect ?
Honestly I'm not qualified to recommend a treatment farther than not letting your husbandry requirements to the fish slip.

Let's see if you can get some help.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are primary gill filaments which are extended and may be due to something it ate, partial lockJaw, low oxygen or flukes.
Being that the fish is Not distressed, you can attempt a freshwater dip in case of flukes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to get my fish from my parents house into my new tank at my house I’ve established for over a year now. I didn’t have time to keep up with water quality too much over the year of them being at my parents. They were fed, topped off & filters changed. Other than that I water changed maybe twice in that year. About a week or two ago my desjardini tang had developed more rapid breathing and had this white flesh now hanging from his gills when breathing out heavily. I decided I had to move them all and hope that it was due to water quality & he would come start doing better in the new, clean tank. Well 24-48 hours into having them in my new tank after acclimating they are all doing flawless expect the desjardiji, he is still breathing as pictured. Anything I can do further ?
4AC432EA-1F6B-4A8B-A781-266F960A2328.png
7FD54303-AD59-4998-A2FE-5B678CC6BDDD.png A64FB0D6-94D8-494D-B100-0B946021DEDD.png
Is the white portion part of the fish’s operculum, gill cover? Tough to see in the photo. If it is, based on the fish being a long term captive, I’d say some sort of bacterial infection. The other side is fine?
Jay

OP
OP
T

Trevorbaker96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the white portion part of the fish’s operculum, gill cover? Tough to see in the photo. If it is, based on the fish being a long term captive, I’d say some sort of bacterial infection. The other side is fine?
Jay
It’s on both sides sadly, I will try a fresh water dip. He’s been like that for about a week or two. Been eating still just not as heavy. Still swimming around fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on both sides sadly, I will try a fresh water dip. He’s been like that for about a week or two. Been eating still just not as heavy. Still swimming around fine.
I've never seen this sort of a reaction to flukes, but seeing it on both sides indicates an infection over an injury. Try a FW dip, but I think you'll end up needing to treat with antibtiotics.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back