Help with Dinoflagellate ID

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These popped up in my established display tank recently. On the sand and a little on the live rock. I'm guessing from changing lighting from Radium halide to Philips Coralcare led. Plumbed in frag tank running no sand has no sign of these. Lighting on frag tank is a kessil a360we running 50/50 color and 100% intensity. Could the whiter light from Coralcare have brought these on? Nutrients were on the low end with no3 being ~ 1- 2 and po4 ~ .04. I'm sure this could have a play in it as well.

Sorry for the terrible pic. Taken from my phone on a low budget microscope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

20210226_204930.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like amphidium
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks vetteguy. I've seen you post this in another thread and already got myself a bottle of peroxide and have bacter7 on hand. I'm a bit confused though. A few other things I've read say to elevate po4 and no3 to have other algae compete with the dinos. Unfortunately I started down that road already and am now running No3 around 5 and po4 around .08. Do you think that's too high to start your program?

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like amphidium
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Just wanted to say thank you! Followed your recipe exactly and I'm dino free along with a couple of other algae issues. Slowly ramping lights back up again.
Thanks again!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just wanted to say thank you! Followed your recipe exactly and I'm dino free along with a couple of other algae issues. Slowly ramping lights back up again.
Thanks again!!!
Beautiful - great to hear

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back