Help with disease ID

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this morning that my female oscellaris is not looking good. Probably a relatively stupid question here but I've been extremely fortunate in not every having any disease problems before ..... so my diagnostic skills are minimal!

I've attached a couple photos but unfortunately can't quite get a good one of her. She is swimming and breathing normally, eating well yet this morning. No damaged or poor looking fins, no bumps or spots. The best I can describe it is like she has a noticeable mucous-like coating on her - more apparent around head and front half of body. Pretty clear with a whitish cast. My best guess would be velvet .... but it really doesn't fit all the signs either. Almost looks as though it is more of a fungus .....

I lost my Kole tang last week - do not know to what. One morning he looked very pale in color but acting normally. Since I had recently changed lights and increased the intensity on them I thought that maybe it was that ..... two mornings later he was dead - only thing that looked abnormal on him were his lips were ragged and his tail fin looked poor - but that I didn't notice the evening prior so it may have been clean up crew picking at him too?

All other fish (yellow tang, hippo tang, foxface, pair of melanarus, male clown, chromis) all look good and act normal. I will obviously be attempting to catch her today to put her into a treatment tank ..... but would be helpful to know what I'm dealing with rather than just blindly treating.

Thanks for any advice ....

Photo taken with flash .... pretty accurate of how it looks is you look closely

69e0bd2f.jpg

Photo without flash ..... the motion actually makes it look far worse .... and makes it look like there are bumps/spots like ich where there aren't any ....
2e6f3cdc.jpg

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thats ich....feed, feed , and feed...soak foods in garlic and selcon...and keep water clean. if you have a reef tank not much you can do...if their eating thats a great sign

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not arguing with you .... but there are none of the characteristic white spots that I've always associated with ich - and no scratching either. Are the signs I'm seeing a precursor to the spots .... or are the spots not always present? Again, I've only dealt with ich once before years ago in a freshwater tank so I really don't know - but assumed that it would still present with the white spots .....

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no im just saying thats what your lower picture looks like.....looks like ich to me can you post a clearer picture? ich looks like salt on the fish

Back