Help with diy magnesium

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all back again for some advice. Yesterday mixed. 3 cups of epsom salt to 5 cups magnesium flakes... In a 5 liter container. I used hot ro water walmed up with a heater. To help dissolve. Shook for about 5 minutes lol till most was dissolved then added a powerhead overnight night. And the whole thing was like milk this morning. Turned the pump off and the milky stuff has all settled at the bottom. Just will not fully dissolve what am i doing wrong.

16324863194881021111250239116905.jpg IMG_20210924_130800.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong. Dr. Holmes-Farley talks about the calcium sulfate precipitate in his DIY article HERE.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote from the article, "There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing."

OP
OP
P

Pager880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote from the article, "There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing."
So just so i no.. This is normal then. As being told its because i may have a not weighed it properly. I didnt think you even needed to weight it. It jut a 3 to 5 ratio.. In 5 liters....

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just so i no.. This is normal then. As being told its because i may have a not weighed it properly. I didnt think you even needed to weight it. It jut a 3 to 5 ratio.. In 5 liters....
I use 3 and 5 heaped tablespoons in 1 liter. Works great, I also get a bit of precipitation.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're normal, or as normal as you can be. :oops::rolleyes: If you had opened that link I posted above that had Randy Holmes Farley's DIY Two Part recipe, you'd see that he mixed 3 cups mag. sulfate (Epsom salt) / 5 cups mag chloride to one gallon.....and this was US gallons. With you using liters, assuming you're from some foreign lands....where you might also use imperial gallons. Either way, you have the ratio right, and that's all that really matters. Not sure what salt you're using, but for me I rarely need to add Mag.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back