Help with Dr Tim's one and only - high nitrite levels

ReefCity.Ldn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm new to the reefeing scene and currently Tmtrying to cycle my tank.

I've followed the instructions and I'm on day 8 today and yesterday (day 7) I still have high readings of nitrite. I'm not sure if this an issue or will the go down. I had switch what I was using to test as redsea didn't read anything above 2ppm.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm using dry rock and dry sand.

I have used both Dr tims one and only bacteria and ammonia soliton.

Thanks in advance
IMG_20220211_070253_edit_406304107797376.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I'm new to the reefeing scene and currently Tmtrying to cycle my tank.

I've followed the instructions and I'm on day 8 today and yesterday (day 7) I still have high readings of nitrite. I'm not sure if this an issue or will the go down. I had switch what I was using to test as redsea didn't read anything above 2ppm.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm using dry rock and dry sand.

I have used both Dr tims one and only bacteria and ammonia soliton.

Thanks in advance
IMG_20220211_070253_edit_406304107797376.jpg
Dr. Tim’s won’t necessarily get rid of nitrates but rather reduces ammonia and nitrate with nitrifying cultets
You could also be getting false readings especially if you’re using API TEST KITS

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are 2 different types of bacteria that you are establishing.

NH3 to NO2 (Nitrite): This will grow first. Just like you saw, the Ammonia will be a few ppm then drop to 0.
NO2 to NO3 (Nitrite to Nitrate): This will grow second because it feeds on the Nitrite made by the above bacteria. Similar to how it took the Ammonia bacteria a week to grow, it will probably take a week for the Nitrite bacteria to grow.

Just wait a few more days to a week. You will start to see the Nitrite coming down. Patience is key.

Also, important to Note:
There is no point in testing Nitrate (NO3) before the Nitrite (NO2) is at 0. Any Nitrite will give a false high Nitrate (really high).
If you get nervous after another week, you could try to add a second bottle of bacteria. If you used Dr. Tim's for the first one... try Brightwell Microbacter Start (not 7) or Biospira. They all have different mixes/ strains, increasing diversity is a good thing.

OP
OP
R

ReefCity.Ldn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will continue testing for the next week and see how it goes.
I will give an update in a few days or when something changes.

Thanks for the help.

Juanugarcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 different types of bacteria that you are establishing.

NH3 to NO2 (Nitrite): This will grow first. Just like you saw, the Ammonia will be a few ppm then drop to 0.
NO2 to NO3 (Nitrite to Nitrate): This will grow second because it feeds on the Nitrite made by the above bacteria. Similar to how it took the Ammonia bacteria a week to grow, it will probably take a week for the Nitrite bacteria to grow.

Just wait a few more days to a week. You will start to see the Nitrite coming down. Patience is key.

Also, important to Note:
There is no point in testing Nitrate (NO3) before the Nitrite (NO2) is at 0. Any Nitrite will give a false high Nitrate (really high).
If you get nervous after another week, you could try to add a second bottle of bacteria. If you used Dr. Tim's for the first one... try Brightwell Microbacter Start (not 7) or Biospira. They all have different mixes/ strains, increasing diversity is a good thing.
Hi! Why not Microbacter7? Thanks

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI! Every tank is different. Using dry rock has forced us to go through long cycle periods. Even when you get ammonia and Nitrites to zero, you can still do mini cycles. Be very patient... Don't do any water changes until Ammonia and Nitrites is zero. Then do an adequate water change and re-test in 24 hrs. Mine took about 2 months.

OP
OP
R

ReefCity.Ldn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Just an update - Day 14

PH - 8, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0

Nitrite was definitely around 2/5ppm last night. So happy it's hit 0 now.

I'm going to dose ammonia again to 2ppm and see if both ammonia and nitrite hit 0 within 24hrs.
That way il definitely know if the tank is cycled.

I've also added in some more bio spheres and some Microbacter xlm as a little boost. Hopefully this dosent mess it up

Thanks for all the advice, being patient worked.

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Just an update - Day 14

PH - 8, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0

Nitrite was definitely around 2/5ppm last night. So happy it's hit 0 now.

I'm going to dose ammonia again to 2ppm and see if both ammonia and nitrite hit 0 within 24hrs.
That way il definitely know if the tank is cycled.

I've also added in some more bio spheres and some Microbacter xlm as a little boost. Hopefully this dosent mess it up

Thanks for all the advice, being patient worked.
Hey did it work out when you added ammonia again?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back