Help with emergency hospital tank

D

Dr Pepper

View Badges
I read that by raising the temp it can be 4 weeks.
It's four weeks with copper but then you want to quarantine the fish again without copper in the tank. Just to make sure the ich is all gone. Instead of rushing it by just treating copper and putting the fish back in the tank. You can do that but if you want to be absolutely sure you have no more ich quarantine without medication for another 3-4 weeks.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’m waiting for a filter. Will the fish survive 3 more days in the dt? They are eating good. I have saltwater in the tank and will add bacteria later.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hob filter arriving Wednesday. Will add my fish in then. Do you guys think they’ll be fine. Should I start my treatment immediately after adding them to the tank?

D

Dr Pepper

View Badges
I read that by raising the temp it can be 4 weeks.

It's four weeks with copper but then you want to quarantine the fish again without copper in the tank. Just to make sure the ich is all gone. Instead of rushing it by just treating copper and putting the fish back in the tank. You can do that but if you want to be absolutely sure you have no more ich quarantine without medication for another 3-4 weeks

D

Dr Pepper

View Badges
O you mean how long your main tank will have ich. It could be 3 months. I just went through this and know I'm going to quarantine everything lol. Replace all your plumbing and dip rocks in cold r.o water. Clean in holes of rocks while you dip. Replace filter over that time. That's my knowledge with ich. Also just enjoy having hermets and shrimps gl.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O you mean how long your main tank will have ich. It could be 3 months. I just went through this and know I'm going to quarantine everything lol. Replace all your plumbing and dip rocks in cold r.o water. Clean in holes of rocks while you dip. Replace filter over that time. That's my knowledge with ich. Also just enjoy having hermets and shrimps gl.
The filter that broke is the one I’m using for quarantine so now I have to wait for a new filter before I can remove my fish.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have just an air stone that would be fine to put the fish in and start treatment. One popular way of doing QT filtration is with an air driven sponge filter - very gentle on the fish and great surface area for biological filtration.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have just an air stone that would be fine to put the fish in and start treatment. One popular way of doing QT filtration is with an air driven sponge filter - very gentle on the fish and great surface area for biological filtration.
I might start it if the parasite gets worst, but for now I’ll wait for my hob filter arriving Wednesday.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I’m adding a piece of live rock and a lot of bio balls to the tank to get the good bacteria in the tank. I will remove these before treating with anything. I’m also getting bio spira. Where will all this biological bacteria live? The hob filter will have a small sponge, but I can’t have any bio balls because they will absorb the copper.
I’m putting this clean kitchen sponge in the tank to house some biological bacteria. Will it absorb any copper or is it fine?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the hob filter I’m using:
Finnex PF-7 Nano Aquarium HOB Power Filter, 52 GPH,Clear Smoke

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria populates every surface area of the tank, so the foam of the filter, the walls of the tank, everything the water touches. Are the bio-balls plastic? If so they can stay in. Got any Legos? Good surface area!

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria populates every surface area of the tank, so the foam of the filter, the walls of the tank, everything the water touches. Are the bio-balls plastic? If so they can stay in. Got any Legos? Good surface area!
I don’t have plastic bio balls unfortunately I only have ceramic. Are legos safe if yes i might add some to a corner or hob filter. Can’t the color leach out of them.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have plastic bio balls unfortunately I only have ceramic. Are legos safe if yes i might add some to a corner or hob filter. Can’t the color leach out of them.
They are safe - used to be quite a common alternative to plastic bio-balls!
Also, if you already have an air pump, look up "Hikari Bacto-Surge" filters. They are ideal for QT tanks. Your Finnex filter is also good but doesn't provide quite as much surface area.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are safe - used to be quite a common alternative to plastic bio-balls!
Also, if you already have an air pump, look up "Hikari Bacto-Surge" filters. They are ideal for QT tanks. Your Finnex filter is also good but doesn't provide quite as much surface area.
Great I’ll put some legos in a media bag to have in my filter or in the corner of the tank.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added bio balls and a small piece of live rock.
Will even one small piece of life rock absorb too much copper to mess up my treatment?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added bio balls and a small piece of live rock.
Will even one small piece of life rock absorb too much copper to mess up my treatment?
Not only will it affect the accuracy of your copper measurement, but also you'll never be able to use it in a display tank again. It'll always have copper in it. Same with the ceramic bio-balls.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only will it affect the accuracy of your copper measurement, but also you'll never be able to use it in a display tank again. It'll always have copper in it. Same with the ceramic bio-balls.
That's what I thought. I have a lot of extra rocks and bio balls so the issue wasn't not being able to add them back.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back