Help with equipment on my 220 gallon set up

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 220 gallon, its already set up but I am looking to upgrade the equipment on it.

Looking at the gyre xf280 or xf250. Probably need 2 of them, just not sure which. I have heard the 280 is noiser and I am sensitive to noise so if thats true would lean the other way. I run MP40wQD's on my other current tank and I am ok with those. But this tank is 6 foot long which is why I am looking at the gyres

Also looking to replace the sand and am leaning towards the TE Reef flakes. I love fine sand, but am worried that I will make a sandstorm trying to get proper flow for my sps with anything smaller than the flakes.

Advice is appreciated.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of these would do a much better job and be much more flexible in deployment...almost infinitely directable:
Turbelle® stream 6105

For aquariums from 200 to 2,000 liters (52 to 528 USgal.) Flow rate: 3,000 up to approx. 13,000 l... mehr

285.00 USD

If you're looking for something different, then one or two of these, mixed with 6105's or solo would be a worthy consideration too...they're almost the opposite in that they are somewhat directionless and can be placed nearly anywhere:

Turbelle® stream 3

for aquariums up to 3.000 liters (793 USgal.) Circulation performance: 2,500 l/h (660 USgal./h) to ... mehr

344.89 USD

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of these would do a much better job and be much more flexible in deployment...almost infinitely directable:
Turbelle® stream 6105

For aquariums from 200 to 2,000 liters (52 to 528 USgal.) Flow rate: 3,000 up to approx. 13,000 l... mehr

285.00 USD

If you're looking for something different, then one or two of these, mixed with 6105's or solo would be a worthy consideration too...they're almost the opposite in that they are somewhat directionless and can be placed nearly anywhere:

Turbelle® stream 3

for aquariums up to 3.000 liters (793 USgal.) Circulation performance: 2,500 l/h (660 USgal./h) to ... mehr

344.89 USD

+1. I just ordered two Stream 3's yesterday for my 220. I have a Vortech MP40 on my 60 cube. I love the pumps and the lack wires in the tank but for a 220 we'd need at least 2 MP60's. $650/each with a 1 year warranty vs $350 each with a 5 year warranty. I might still use my MP40 dead center on the back of the aquarium, but I'll give up a little in tank real estate in order to save money and have a real warranty on a product. I wish I had the personal experience to back up the recommendation on the Stream 3's, but I just got fish in my 220 this past week.

Was also looking at the Gyre's. I think they're good pumps but I don't think they're quite as reliable as an Ecotech or Tunze and seem to need more maintenance. I know we can't get away from it entirely, but we can minimize it. Give the Stream 3's a look.

OP
OP

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input. What was attracting me to the gyres was the flow pattern. I use Vortechs now and these, while the head is certainly more adjustable, seem to offer the same cone type disbursement. I would probable just stay with the MP60s if I want this flow pattern.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@10Seconds Thing about the mp's is their lack of placement flexibility and lack of direct-ability. (And expense.)

Thing about the Gryres is that their are not very directable and not very robust in that they need continuous care to run at full efficiency.

The flow from the Tunze's is not really like the vortech, generally speaking. The Stream 3 might be close in flow style, but the pump is like a tank and it can be mounted (hidden) and aimed nearly anywhere. (And it's like half the cost of a 60!)

If you compare the Tunze 6105 ($285) the comparison is even more in your favor as these pumps are the most adjustable on the market. I would not say the flow is that much like a vortech.

If you haven't seen this vid, check out the visual differences in the flow AND check out the readings on the velocity meter.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a brace of Gyre XF-x50 on my 220, and though I couldn't figure out how to run the OCG or LTC patterns properly (I may not have programmed the time component correctly, and might have another go at it....) I'm using the forward / reverse modes at 100% in reverse and 70% in forward, with timing set just a bit off from one another so that flow patterns vary throughout a several-hour period. I'd initially started at 60% in the forward mode, and at six months in, it's probably time to give these guys a vinegar bath. I find that just running the program in a bucket of hot water and vinegar periodically restores significant power to the pumps.

With absolutely nothing else going on in the house at the moment, I can hear a faint whine from one of the pumps, which would probably annoy some folks, but for most of the day is pretty moot around here.

Water movement is pretty significant, with vortices being pulled from the surface at the center of the tank when both pumps are on. Every now and then (every couple of hours or so), one of those vortices will dance over to one of the returns, and a blast of silvery bubbles will appear in the center of the tank. With my flow setup, there are decent scour areas across the center half of the tank and at both ends, so that the sand rises a little about 1/6 in from each end.

~Bruce

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back