Help with first QT procedure

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

id like to ask the you for some advice. Ive already learnt a lot from this forum, and im very grateful for that. This is information that is very hard to come by in germen speaking forums. I will try to promote QTing here in Austria/Germany aswell, it seems to be done very rarely, and even most LFSs around have very limited knowledge in treating and fish desease.

To start my story, we are running a 1200l (320g) mixed reef tank. Fish went in there without any QTing, due to a lack of awareness. I had some cryptocarion every now end then, but nothing really deadly. This changed after i introduced a pait of X. auromarginatus in the beginning of april. Within one week many fish showed symptoms like swimming into powerheads, some skin leasures and shortness of breath. We tried treating with a reef-safe medication (based on some dyes...) that required us to turn off the UV-C. This made things much worse. After having lost several fish we decided to get all the rock out, and to start two QTs.

Identification of the desease was not 100% sure (even though microscopic examinations were performed), but i would suspect a mix infection of oodinium and cryptocarion.

One QT was dosed with copper (containing tangs, scarus wrasse, gobi, banggais, anthias) and anotherone with CP containing dartfish, mandarins and other small fish.

Everything was going very well in the CP QT. After about 3 weeks i had some algae growth, so i redosed CP. Everone in this tank seems to be very happy. CP not redosed with WC after 4 weeks.

In the Cu-QT it was sort of a different story: Sadly 3 zebrasoma tangs died because of the copper :-( I wish i would have found this forum earlier. Im blaiming myself for raising copper levels to quickly, in the literature i had on hand (Bassleer et al) there was no information about the time span to raise the copper value. This is an error that will never happen again. I was treating with ionic copper (copper sulfate) and was testing values daily with a photometer, keeping them between 0.15 and 0.20 ppm. In the future i will use cupramine which i could meanwhile acquire.

After about 2 weeks the remaining yellow tang developed severe HLLE that got worse on a daily basis. At the 21 day mark into therapeutic copper i decided to remove the copper, to give the fish some rest and hopefully stop HLLE. I tried to syphon everything from the tank, and gave all PVC tubes a dip in boiling water to minimize the chance of some surviving cryptocarion cysts. Sadly, within a few days our paracanthurus hepatus developed a very heavy infestation of cryptocarion. Seemingly the 21 days of copper were not enough. So all the fish of this QT went through TTM for 12 days (changing every 71-72 hrs), and since then there is no more cryptocarion visible.

What still concerns me is my yellow tang. He still shows the HLLE (which i think needs a lot of time to heal), but is breathing very heavily. Ammonia is low, although i had a hard time keeping it supressed after finished TTM, so there have been a few days where the seachem badge was green-blueish despite heavy water changing. I think that during TTM there were some conflicts between the YT and the scarus wrasse, so i separated the two afterwards to remove stress. Still the YT is breathing heavy and seems a bit lethargic. We suspected flukes, and dosed 2 mg/l praziquantel followed by a 50% water change after 24 hours, but this didnt influence the breathing rate (although it seems to have supressed apettite in the fish). The tang is eating, although not very good. In addition metronidazole was added to food for 7 days, to eliminate possible internal parasites. - Still breathing rate is high.

We are now approaching the end of the 76 days fallow period end of june, and im very uncertain what to do with the YT and with the other fish that swim in the same QT. Is it possible that velvet sneaked through 21 days of copper and TTM? Since the condition is rather stable since the end of TTM (~12 days) and the other fish in the tank dont seem very affected, i personally dont think there is still velvet involved. Would you keep all the fish in QT longer? Would you move them back to DT, maybe, if its stress related, his condition would improve there? Could the heavy breathing still be a symptom of HLLE or maybe of elevated ammonia during TTM and the period afterwards?

Thanks for your input!

All the best,
Christoph

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an add-on:

this is a video from the YT in question. I think the fins got hurt while in conflict with the scarus in the TTM-tanks (since they are non-seethru i couldnt see the attachs from the wrasse). The find seem to get better now.

Best,
Christoph

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He certainly looks stressed out. It's possible he has permanent damage from the ammonia in the water which is causing his difficulty breathing. That would explain why he's the only one effected at this point (he just wasn't as resistant to it as the others). A methyline blue dip is good for attempting to heal damage caused by ammonia and is worth a try.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He certainly looks stressed out. It's possible he has permanent damage from the ammonia in the water which is causing his difficulty breathing. That would explain why he's the only one effected at this point (he just wasn't as resistant to it as the others). A methyline blue dip is good for attempting to heal damage caused by ammonia and is worth a try.

My thoughts exactly^

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meredith & Ngoodermuth,

your help is greatly appreciated. Ammonia induced problems are possible, but i didnt see any really high values, just green with maybe a hint of blue-ish on the alert badge. Prime was always added at day 2 of each individual transfer.

I will go for the methylene blue, this is definitely something that cant hurt.

Would you continue on with QTing the fish, or move them back into DT once the 76d fallow time is over?

Best,
Christoph

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia induced problems are possible, but i didnt see any really high values, just green with maybe a hint of blue-ish on the alert badge.
Any ammonia is bad and can cause permanent damage. It's the reason we are so stringent in saying "if you show anything but zero on the ammonia test or alert badge, do a water change". Even trace amounts can hurt a fish.
Would you continue on with QTing the fish, or move them back into DT once the 76d fallow time is over?

If no other fish is showing any symptoms at all, then you could move them over. I'd probably keep the yellow tang out until he's doing a bit better, but that's me.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

im loosing confidence, seem its cryptocarion again.

Quick sum-up:

3 weeks of ionic copper
1 round of praziquantel
=> heavy ich infestation is back.
Tank Transfer Method
2 weeks no symptoms
2 rounds of praziquantel
=> heavy ich infestation is back.

Now im in the process of ramping up cupramine... :-(

Im trained in work with radioisotopes, and im well aware of working in a clean way to avoid cross-contamination. DT is in another room, i thing aerosol transmission is not so likely over this distance. Prazi also seems like a trigger for ich outbreaks, maybe its somehow immunosuppressive.

Anyway, some cryptocarion must have remained despite all the efforts. Grml.

Any ideas? If not pls at least some emotional support ;-)

Best,
Christoph

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Christoph. I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. I wonder if you had an issue with cross contamination during your QTs? Were these fish in your display before the ich outbreak? Where they then in the display again this time around? If so, how long was the display left fallow?

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Meredith,

The fish are luckily still in QT. So two more ich outbreaks happened in QT, one after Copper (21 days), the second after TTM.

DT is approaching 76 days fallow by the end of june.

Cross-contamination is very unlikely (different rooms, split equipment). Even frozen food was gamma irradiated, so no way cysts could have been introduced this way.

Im puzzled. IMO something must have sneaked through TTM. And the prazi dose must have immunosupressed the fish, so that ich became visible and problematic again.

My plan is now to leave cupramine at 0.4 ppm for 16 days, and then transfer directly into DT. Or is this stupid? Fish have already been in the small QT for so long, and DT has nutritient issues due to missing fish :(

Best,
Christoph

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm wonder if this is indeed ich your dealing with. It could be that this is actually velvet and that's why it's still alive (TTM doesn't cure velvet) or maybe a fault in the methods... like a testing issue, or water changes ect. so many possibilities. I know I can't say it's a great idea to toss them back into the display after this next 16 days. Doing that allows no room for mistakes... you have to be dead sure of your copper levels that entire 16 days and dead sure of your procedures.

Back