HELP with first saltwater tank

Beauman34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm cycling my first saltwater tank and tested the water today and there was chlorine in it 1ppm to be exact and the only thing I can think of is that it was possibly on the heater I got off Craigslist trying to save some money. I washed the heater well before I put it in the tank but it's one of the fluvals so it has the plastic cage around the actual heater. Any suggestions on what to do? i.e, full water change or some type of conditioner. I'm four weeks into my cycle I added dr tims two weeks ago and my nitrites are very high, no ammonia, and my nitrates are rising slowly but surely.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine evaporates pretty quickly, so it should go away. Just check it again in a few days. You may have to start you cycle over though, as it could have killed all the bacteria.

OP
OP
B

Beauman34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the heater has been there since the beginning also I got some additive my lfs suggested and another bottle of dr tims to add in a few days when it's hopefully gone and a new heater just to be safe lol.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let things run their course. Curious as to why you tested to chlorine? Can't say I've ever tested for it myself.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the heater has been there since the beginning also I got some additive my lfs suggested and another bottle of dr tims to add in a few days when it's hopefully gone and a new heater just to be safe lol.
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.
And welcome to R2R, by the way.

OP
OP
B

Beauman34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let things run their course. Curious as to why you tested to chlorine? Can't say I've ever tested for it myself.

I ordered a regular test kit for the regular stuff and it's lost in transit haha so I've been going to my lfs to have them test it until I can either get my money back or get the one I bought and the test kit they use tests for it haha I wouldn't have thought of it either but I'm glad they did

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. Chlorine dissipates quickly. I would be surprised if it came from anything that had been in the tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple tests tested positive for chlorine or just that one test? It may have been an erroneous test.

If it comes up again, i would be questioning the LFS about their water source since that's where you are getting your water. Maybe there are chloramines in the water source and their filters are becoming old and need to be changed.

Before the next water change, have them test the new water for chlorine before you take it home. I would want to rule that out as the source before adding to your tank later down the road, especially when you have livestock in the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back