Help with fish Quarantine

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Just need a bit of help with fish quarantine.

I have been in this hobby now for 7months and I had my first unfortunate ich outbreak around the 3month mark. Lost 70% of the fish during quarantine and a subsequent internal parasite issue.

Anyway, that is all behind me now and the DT has had a fallow period of 80+ days and the remaining fish have been living in my DT for the last month or so and I haven't seen an white spots on any fish in the DT. I have also got a 57w UV properly installed this time with the correct waterfowl through it.

I have got my latest batch of fish currently in the QT, one powder blue, one blue tang and a purple tang. There were doing fine in the first week and towards the end of that week I saw the powder blue trying to rub its body against the bottom of the tank. Pretty much exactly as what they do when they have ich.

Since then I have added copper into the tank and maintained at the recommended lever as per instructions on the back of the bottle and they have been in there with copper now for nearly three weeks. However, I still notice a couple of spots here and there and those are clearly visible on the purple tang.

I am a bit surprised that those spots are still there as I had used the same product for initial outbreak of ich and it had managed to clear everything up within two weeks.

This also makes me wonder if they have flukes like external parasites. Maybe my head is playing games. I have also seen my blue tang shake/wiggle his head and the body like a dog trying to dry itself.

All fish are eating well with the exception of the blue tang who has gone on strike from this morning. I want to take some action before it is too late and I thought I might do a fresh water dip on all three fish tonight and monitor them for a few more weeks.

What are your thoughts? Any help is much appreciated. Don't want to see any more fish die. The powder blue is so awesome it literally eats out of my hand.

diar695

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me Have had complete wipeouts over and over again but this hobby is filled wonderful reefers here to help such as @Humblefish. Ive had success treating bacterial infections in Sunburst Nems to just about every type of disease on marine fish ... I would strongly advise against anything other than keeping stable parameters. you're going to want to touch things trying to save the fish, don't. When you place the fish in the QT, study it but it will be stressed and prone to disease. I would dose praziquantel IF ANYTHING. Drop the copper they're not at that point

I personally believe FW dipping is an absolutely last resort, I saved my Gem and Koi tangs but have lost many many fish as they just become too stressed to fight

I have saved 20+Tangs even from velvet. Aerate your tank turn the light off and don't bother it (put paper around the tank) if somethings bothering it in the tank--take the bully out do not touch the tang they're extremely prone to sickness

The spots are seemingly normal for me whereas some might look to 'eradicate ice' I believe its impossible and manage it. it will go away

________THIS IS BASED ON EXPERIENCE. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH_______

IF you want to dm some pictures, I can happily help you

These pictures are taken days apart from my recent save from a local school
IMG_754C5E390253-1.jpeg
IMG_272AF7B088FB-2.jpeg

diar695

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this would immediate treatment but I will advise never using copper

Use pharma grade meds, keep them in the cabinet, you will need them

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 6.37.30 AM.png

OP
OP
R

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate and i appreciate your response. Wow, those are some awesome turnarounds.
I have managed to take a close up picture of my purple tang and I have attached the pictures below. Those tiny dots definitely appear to be on the outside and I can't see then being embedded in the skin. I have also caught him with a net and had a closer look with good lighting. What do you think is the best option? Does freshwater dip get rid of all external parasites?

I am planning on draining the tank tomorrow to get rid of the copper and starting the prazi treatment.
20210731_222456.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate and i appreciate your response. Wow, those are some awesome turnarounds.
I have managed to take a close up picture of my purple tang and I have attached the pictures below. Those tiny dots definitely appear to be on the outside and I can't see then being embedded in the skin. I have also caught him with a net and had a closer look with good lighting. What do you think is the best option? Does freshwater dip get rid of all external parasites?

I am planning on draining the tank tomorrow to get rid of the copper and starting the prazi treatment.
20210731_222456.jpg
With the tang, do you see any spots on the soft parts of its fins? I think I can, even under the blue light. If so, that may be Cryptocaryon/ich.

What type of copper did you use and at what dose? Another Australian here was using Odinex (spelling?), a copper sulfate/buffer solution. These are more toxic and trickier to use than the amine bound coppers we can get in the states (Copper Safe, Cupramine and Copper Power).

Here is a link to my current quarantine protocol:

Copper is the key to eliminating marine protozoans (except Brooklynella).

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back