Help with food

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am getting an 81L 20usgal saltwater aquarium it is my first saltwater and will be stocking with
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x emerald crab
1x pink tiled sea star
And I’m not sure what to feed does anyone know what I need to feed my fish I know crabs and stars are algae eaters but do I need to feed them anything else like I do with my freshwater plecos and for the clownfish do I need to get a specific clownfish pellet or is there a generic marine community reef pellet ? as I may add more fish further down the line

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend TDO Chroma boost pellets for your clowns.
The star and crab should find enough to scavenge on, between algae in the tank, any food that makes it past the clowns, detritus, etc...

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clownfish are captive bred and will accept most standard marine pellets. I use New Life Spectrum Marine Fish formula, but there are lots of other good brands like Reef Nutrition, Piscine Energetics, and the like.
Starfish are generally omnivores or carnivores. The tiled star is an omnivore. The emerald crab is also an omnivore. I’d wait to add it until you have some algae growth, then feed everything with frozen mysis shrimp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clownfish are captive bred and will accept most standard marine pellets. I use New Life Spectrum Marine Fish formula, but there are lots of other good brands like Reef Nutrition, Piscine Energetics, and the like.
Starfish are generally omnivores or carnivores. The tiled star is an omnivore. The emerald crab is an herbivore so I’d wait to add it until you have some algae growth, then feed everything with frozen mysis shrimp.
Great thank you do the stars or crabs need to be directly fed with the frozen shrimp?
Also when I feed the shrimp do I keep feeding the clownfish pellets or do they eat shrimp aswell ?
Also this might be a stupi question but can clownfish eat tropical flake food ?like the one in the picture

image.jpg

Last edited:

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thank you do the stars or crabs need to be directly fed with the frozen shrimp?
Also when I feed the shrimp do I keep feeding the clownfish pellets or do they eat shrimp aswell ?
Also this might be a stupi question but can clownfish eat tropical flake food ?like the one in the picture

image.jpg
I wouldn’t feed them those flakes, no. They’re formulated for freshwater fish, and aren’t a very high quality, nutritious diet.

You can feed anything directly with a pipette or turkey baster, but for the most part they’ll pick up any excess that the clownfish didn’t finish off. It’s best for them to have something to graze on though in order to ensure that they’re not starving. That’s why I would add them later on, once you have some biofilm and algae growth on your rocks. If you add them in too early, they may very well starve.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t feed them those flakes, no. They’re formulated for freshwater fish, and aren’t a very high quality, nutritious diet.

You can feed anything directly with a pipette or turkey baster, but for the most part they’ll pick up any excess that the clownfish didn’t finish off. It’s best for them to have something to graze on though in order to ensure that they’re not starving. That’s why I would add them later on, once you have some biofilm and algae growth on your rocks. If you add them in too early, they may very well starve.
Ok great thank you for your help can I feed the mysis shrimp when I only have clownfish in there ?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis and Brine shrimp aren't very good nutritionally.... They are OK for feeding/adding variety to your fish's diet, but probably shouldn't be the basis of their diet.

Truthfully, foods like LRS or Rods are hard to beat and come in a wide variety to suit most tanks.

Flake food is usually poor quality/nutritionally, the same for brine/mysis shrimp. Feeding it as part of a variety of foods is fine, but probably should not make up the main diet.

Get a pack or two of frozen foods like Rods or LRS, along with some good quality pellets and you're clowns will be fat and happy in no time.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis and Brine shrimp aren't very good nutritionally.... They are OK for feeding/adding variety to your fish's diet, but probably shouldn't be the basis of their diet.

Truthfully, foods like LRS or Rods are hard to beat and come in a wide variety to suit most tanks.

Flake food is usually poor quality/nutritionally, the same for brine/mysis shrimp. Feeding it as part of a variety of foods is fine, but probably should not make up the main diet.

Get a pack or two of frozen foods like Rods or LRS, along with some good quality pellets and you're clowns will be fat and happy in no time.
Ok what kind of rods or LRS food I would assume there are different types for different fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lrs fish frenzy
Formula 1 flakes
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton

add garlic extract to foods 1-2x per week

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lrs fish frenzy
Formula 1 flakes
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton

add garlic extract to foods 1-2x per week
Great thank you can all of my fish eat the LRS feeding frenzy

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Frenzy would be fine, but there are some larger chunks of meat in it that might be too big for your fish, you can chop up those pcs smaller if you wish, or they also make a 'Nano-Frenzy' variety that has smaller chunks, aimed at smaller fish and nano tanks... that might be the one you want if you can find it.

I feed both Rod's original blend and the breeder blend. But both of those also have chunks that are occasionally too big for my fish, but I usually feed those larger chunks to my anemone, so it isn't an issue.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Frenzy would be fine, but there are some larger chunks of meat in it that might be too big for your fish, you can chop up those pcs smaller if you wish, or they also make a 'Nano-Frenzy' variety that has smaller chunks, aimed at smaller fish and nano tanks... that might be the one you want if you can find it.

I feed both Rod's original blend and the breeder blend. But both of those also have chunks that are occasionally too big for my fish, but I usually feed those larger chunks to my anemone, so it isn't an issue.
Great thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great thank you can all of my fish eat the LRS feeding frenzy
Yes and any pieces too big end up with crabs, shrimp and anemones

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m struggling to find LRS and rods foods for sale anywhere is there anything also that is alright

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling to find LRS and rods foods for sale anywhere is there anything also that is alright

Emma, thank you for your interest in LRS foods! I'm going to PM you to assist you in finding the nearest retailer. We have over 500 in the US and nine countries abroad. Good luck and as other's have stated the LRS "Nano" blend may be best suited for your smaller fish, but you can always shave down any of our blends as fine as you need it while the slab is frozen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back