help with heavy metal in reef tank

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have started loosing a few of my sps and have some lps that will not extend polyps. My nems are also not looking good. I just received my icp test back and it found to have some heavy metals in the tank. I'll attach the results but the big ones seem to be lead and cobalt but also aluminum and silver. I'm not sure how its getting my tank, I'm using a brs 4 stage ro/di system with the 3 stage di upgrade. I tested my house water for lead and it came back negative. I have checked pumps and magnets and haven't seen any signs of damage to anything. I added seachem zeolite from my lfs to help try and bind out the metals. The tank is a IM nuvo 40, 2 mp10s, mighty jet return pump, nuvo skim skimmer, hydra 26hd. Let me know what you guys think. TIA

Attachments

• testResult_nicholaslutfi_20190715234943.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 161

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pdf that that links too oddly doesn't show any of your results, they're blank.

Based on your description, I would try adding PolyFilter, Cuprisorb (absorbs more than just copper), and Triton Detox.
And keep looking for and thinking about what the source could be. Probably not your RODI water.
Cobalt is commonly from rusting steel. Aluminum from Marine Pure media and Phosguard. Lead and silver, not sure.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pdf that that links too oddly doesn't show any of your results, they're blank.

Based on your description, I would try adding PolyFilter, Cuprisorb (absorbs more than just copper), and Triton Detox.
And keep looking for and thinking about what the source could be. Probably not your RODI water.
Cobalt is commonly from rusting steel. Aluminum from Marine Pure media and Phosguard. Lead and silver, not sure.

I would also recommend poly filter or metasorb. They will change color to show what you may have

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried poly filter but didn't show any color change. I haven't tried metasorb yet but thought about trying the Triton detox.
Screenshot_20190718-131211.jpeg

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you can read this one

Attachments

• testResult_nicholaslutfi_20190721234443.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 117

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last one works. :)

Cobalt is the biggest outlier, then lead.
Some tin, chromium, gallium, selenium, uranium.
Does suggest decomposing steel more than anything.
Could something have been dropped in the tank or sump?

Do you use optical sensors? Selenium can be from leaking optical sensors.

Aluminum level is fine, no concern.
Silicon is up, that could be from RODI, but no big concern (might encourage diatoms.)

Your magnesium and potassium are too low. Could be an issue.
Both are easily supplemented and can be tested for at home.

One consideration -
This ICPOES company is generally considered to be not as good as others like Triton and ATI.
Some of those numbers could be spurious.
I'd probably send in a sample to ATI to confirm or refute these numbers, before getting too aggressive.
ATI will also test your RODI water at no extra charge.

Overall I've seen much worse numbers.
It's possible that metal toxicity isn't your issue at all.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last one works. :)

Cobalt is the biggest outlier, then lead.
Some tin, chromium, gallium, selenium, uranium.
Does suggest decomposing steel more than anything.
Could something have been dropped in the tank or sump?

Do you use optical sensors? Selenium can be from leaking optical sensors.

Aluminum level is fine, no concern.
Silicon is up, that could be from RODI, but no big concern (might encourage diatoms.)

Your magnesium and potassium are too low. Could be an issue.
Both are easily supplemented and can be tested for at home.

One consideration -
This ICPOES company is generally considered to be not as good as others like Triton and ATI.
Some of those numbers could be spurious.
I'd probably send in a sample to ATI to confirm or refute these numbers, before getting too aggressive.
ATI will also test your RODI water at no extra charge.

Overall I've seen much worse numbers.
It's possible that metal toxicity isn't your issue at all.
Ty for the reply, I don't see anything that has dropped in my tank as far as I can tell. I also do have optical sensors for ato and awc. I have tested my mag at home and found it to be higher then these results at about 1300-1340. Cal is around 450 and alk at 7.4. any other issues that may be causing sps loss and my nems to be on the way out as well?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add it seemed to have started after adding my awc system by auto aqua. I have since stopped using it for auto water changes but am still using it for an ato. I don't know if this could have any correlation.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add it seemed to have started after adding my awc system by auto aqua. I have since stopped using it for auto water changes but am still using it for an ato. I don't know if this could have any correlation.
If you find any correlation, please let us know.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running MetaSorb and it turned green. What metal could that be or is that just algae?

Hi,

It depends on the green. If it is a fairly even looking light green it may have absorbed nickel. That can come from some metal coatings or stainless steel.

I am more inclined to agree it is algae. If it is a darker green or color is not solid I would say algae.

pic would help.

Saltycrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

It depends on the green. If it is a fairly even looking light green it may have absorbed nickel. That can come from some metal coatings or stainless steel.

I am more inclined to agree it is algae. If it is a darker green or color is not solid I would say algae.

pic would help.
I’ll get some pics tonight thank you

Saltycrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

pic would help.
Hi,

pic would help.
It’s a light green and it’s even thru the whole bag. I had a heater that failed, could that be it?

Attachments

• IMG_4522.MOV
    5.9 MB

Saltycrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

pic would help.

2E5A6EEA-7DC8-4B94-BD21-CD0B1B573B0F.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Saltycrew

That does look like it pulled something out of the water other than algae. The metasorb package has a color chart that can be used as a general guide to show what the color change represents. That color looks like maybe nickel. The heater that failed titanium?

What size tank did you have it in, how long and where was it in the tank, and how long do you think the failed heater was in the water. Reason I ask is you may want to run another bag to be sure you got it all out.

@Peace River @pathot984 ??

1574464776435.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by heater failure? Was there a huge temp fluctuation? What are your current nitrite and phosphate levels? Can you post some pictures it would possibly help.

Saltycrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Saltycrew

That does look like it pulled something out of the water other than algae. The metasorb package has a color chart that can be used as a general guide to show what the color change represents. That color looks like maybe nickel. The heater that failed titanium?

What size tank did you have it in, how long and where was it in the tank, and how long do you think the failed heater was in the water. Reason I ask is you may want to run another bag to be sure you got it all out.

1574464776435.jpeg
The heater has been in there for months. I didn’t run that one though. It’s a
Hello @Saltycrew

1574464776435.jpeg
65 gal
It has been in my sump for about a year. Not plugged in just in there. I pulled that MetaSorb out and now I have a poly filter pad currently

Saltycrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by heater failure? Was there a huge temp fluctuation? What are your current nitrite and phosphate levels? Can you post some pictures it would possibly help.
No the heater wasn’t plugged in just in the sump. My pho’s are .08 and nitrate is .12

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Let’s see if the pad changes. Make sure you put the pad somewhere it will not get light.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back