Help with Hydra 26 HD led settings

ChopandPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am relatively new to the hobby and I am trying to understand the best lighting settings for my tank.

I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 deluxe (34 gallon display and 9 gallon sump) and it came with the Hydra 26 HD led lighting system. I've done a lot of Googling and still do not have a straight answer on what would be healthy settings for my tank. I've heard that a lot of UV is bad but then I see people with it cranked up to 100. I've heard deep red and green cause algae growth and see people with it turned up to 30. Does anyone know what a safe setting is for this tank? And how long to leave it on/ramp/decline.

Tank contains two clowns, a red firefish, a cleaner shrimp, hermits, conch snails, two torch coral, a bubble, hammer coral, frog spawn, leather mushroom and an anemone.

There is purigen and chemi-pure blue in the filter sock. I also a bubble magus curve 5 protein skimmer and B-ionic calcium/alkalinity is dosed 10 ml daily as recommended.

I will upload pictures in the morning when the lights are on. I have included my current settings.

Thank you for the help!
Tank.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

For a good starting point, you'll want to up the UV, Royal Blue, Blue, and keep the green and red down, and up the white just until you get it to a point that it looks good to your eye. As far as what percentages, I would start out low, and slowly up it over a couple weeks and see how your corals respond :)

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have much that needs a lot of light except maybe that anemone. I would keep the UV below 35% and turn it up slowly if you think you need/want it, I have had issues with high % of UV on my 26's. I run the UV at 35% for the peak hours, I also run my Blue,RB and Viloet at the max red at 70%<- theres only 2 LED's for teh fixture it has never increased my algae growth. Green I leave off . Do you have access to a par meter? LED's can be deceiving for brightness, to the eye they look dim because they are so focused and the 80 deg optics of they Hydras don't help.

OP
OP
C

ChopandPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral looks great but there is quite a bit of algae growth on the glass and rocks. More than the cleanup crew can handle. Should we up the UV to try to combat the algae?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your scroll in the manual mode to set your light to 17500 that is the AB+ that is very popular then set it to acclimate.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are now some downloadable profiles on the AI website. The profiles can be found under the tab for Signature Series. There’s also the SPS AB+ profile for 12” and 24” AWL. I got the AB+ from a forum member a while back and have had great success with it. I have the AB+ with and without respite points (Respite points give corals a small break during peak intensity)

Dependent on the device your using (iOS, Android, PC) downloading and applying them to your myAI app can be a task all in itself. For me (MacBook to download iPhone for myAI) downloaded the profiles to my Mac then emailed them to myself, opened the email on iPhone and opened attachment, with the attachment open select the share menu and select myAI app. Then they’ll be under the presets star in the app.

Side note; I created a folder on my Mac with all the profiles which I emailed to myself, I couldn’t share the entire folder to myAI so you will have to open each file and share to myAI app.

If someone would like the SPS AB+ profiles let me know will be happy to email them to you.

Hope this helps.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a pretty nice video detailing setting up a slightly larger tank here.
around the 7min mark they give some detailed profiles on using a hydra 26hd. they back up these numbers with their internal testing so I would trust them to a degree.
they mention it is suitable lighting for LPS and softies.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV bad? I run UV at or above the other blue channels! It's not really UV, just right at the very max of what UV can possibly be called. The lack of violet and near UV was one reason I didn't use LEDs before those spectrums became available. If anything I would run UV higher than other channels.
2.jpg

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV bad? I run UV at or above the other blue channels! It's not really UV, just right at the very max of what UV can possibly be called. The lack of violet and near UV was one reason I didn't use LEDs before those spectrums became available. If anything I would run UV higher than other channels.

Well all I can say is when I ran mine above 40% my SPS all started fading in color 35% seems to be the sweet spot for my tank. I get 300-325 par on the sandbed and 550-600 on the top of my rock, 12" tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are now some downloadable profiles on the AI website. The profiles can be found under the tab for Signature Series. There’s also the SPS AB+ profile for 12” and 24” AWL. I got the AB+ from a forum member a while back and have had great success with it. I have the AB+ with and without respite points (Respite points give corals a small break during peak intensity)

Dependent on the device your using (iOS, Android, PC) downloading and applying them to your myAI app can be a task all in itself. For me (MacBook to download iPhone for myAI) downloaded the profiles to my Mac then emailed them to myself, opened the email on iPhone and opened attachment, with the attachment open select the share menu and select myAI app. Then they’ll be under the presets star in the app.

Side note; I created a folder on my Mac with all the profiles which I emailed to myself, I couldn’t share the entire folder to myAI so you will have to open each file and share to myAI app.

If someone would like the SPS AB+ profiles let me know will be happy to email them to you.

Hope this helps.
Hey Adam, I know this post is old but could you please send me the ab+ schedules? I’m having a hard time finding the presets to download.

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what to set my AI on a 34 gallon tank with lights above the water at 11 inches with the aquaticlife T5 hybrid. Obviously the lights need to be tamed down while running with T5's but struggling with what settings this would be. I like the SPS AB settings but how do you dial those in with T5's?

Ignacio0607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what to set my AI on a 34 gallon tank with lights above the water at 11 inches with the aquaticlife T5 hybrid. Obviously the lights need to be tamed down while running with T5's but struggling with what settings this would be. I like the SPS AB settings but how do you dial those in with T5's?
I have the same question

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back