Help with ich?

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think one of my clownfish has developed ich (white spots on the head and a couple on the body) and wont eat :pout: Can anyone tell me what the process should be for me to treat it? I have a 5 gallon tank I could set up as a hospital tank with no lid. What else would I need? I assume heater, thermometer, a HOB filter I probably have hanging around the house somewhere, PVC fittings for him to hide... Do I need a light? How do I dose and how often? Any help is appreciated...

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it the only fish in the tank? if not unfortunately you may ave to remove all the fish in order to treat successfully

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is the worst part. Take some water from your display to fill the 5 gallon, then treat with cupramine. Do not run carbon while medicate.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
qt the fish ASAP raise the temp in the qt tank to the low to mid 80's. I know a good medication but I have to find the name of it.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me know what it is when you find it.. Do I need a light on the tank? And how often should water changes be done? I will probably be doing all this tomorrow after work...

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your display can't have fish in it for eight weeks or you'll just have Ich all over again. All the fish you listed are pretty hardy and should have no issues tolerating cupermine, I prefer to do half the dosage the first day and half the next to let them get used to it.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on taking them all out of the tank and putting them into the 5 gallon tomorrow after I set it up... I will have to get some egg crate and make a top so the firefish doesnt decide to go carpet surfing... Will an average LED clip on light be enough for them? I will leave the biocube with just the inverts and corals for the 8 weeks for the ich to die out... 5 gallons should be big enough for them since it is only a temporary home right??

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gal will be fine short term...get an ammonia test kit if you donutted have one as it Weill be your largest problem. You wwwill be changing Easter often. Be sure to. Treat the new water you chaNge it. In addition to. Treating with cupramine with each waTer change you can ever so slightly mov e the sAlin ity lower down to say 1.019 as hypo sali ity treaTment. You really may waNt to pickup a cheap ten gallon tank though to make life easier on you a d the fish splitting them b etween the two tanks

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gal will be fine short term...get an ammonia test kit if you donutted have one as it Weill be your largest problem. You wwwill be changing Easter often. Be sure to. Treat the new water you chaNge it. In addition to. Treating with cupramine with each waTer change you can ever so slightly mov e the sAlin ity lower down to say 1.019 as hypo sali ity treaTment. You really may waNt to pickup a cheap ten gallon tank though to make life easier on you a d the fish splitting them b etween the two tanks

what I got out of this was, "Drink more Ovaltine."

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I hate my phone sometimes. I try to type careful and it gets all jacked up and it scrolls weird on r2r messsage board. Sorry for that epically horrible post

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back