Help with ID of Blenny

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Ive been on the lookout for a pistol shrimp but not one LFS around me has had them in.. Summer time is usually very quiet here so there is not much business and ordering going on. They usually wait till the winter months when everyone has come back

Most likely you will need to ask your LFS to special order it for you. pistol shrimps show occasionally on suppliers stock lists, But I didn't seen anyone bringing it.

I would recommend BPK sustainable Aquatics in Dubai - Qarhood Area. Go there and tell them Fadi from Saudi says Hi :D

for the lump on the fish eye, I am not sure about it. but I wouldn't worry unless the eye is cloudy. maybe a birth defect like @Katrina said

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda looks like popeye, with the gobies eye location being different than other fish it may be an atypical presentation. With the eye looking ok, and only being on one side, I'd think maybe trauma.

Did you just get him? Maybe during netting he got whacked.

If he was mine, I would monitor and if it gets worse you can add some Epsom salt, Unscented from the pharmacy. If it progresses he may need a hospital tank with antibiotic treatment.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius are great for detritus and sand stirring. I would recommend Cerith and Trochus snails for GHA. Hermit crabs may also help.
Thank you. I have seen loads of these in the ocean here. All over the rocks. Or at least they look very similar. They may also be turbo snails. Not to great on snail ID either haha.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have seen loads of these in the ocean here. All over the rocks. Or at least they look very similar. They may also be turbo snails. Not to great on snail ID either haha.
Turbos have worked very well for me also. They go after many different algae. They get large though and tend to bulldoze in my 45 gallon AIO, LOL.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda looks like popeye, with the gobies eye location being different than other fish it may be an atypical presentation. With the eye looking ok, and only being on one side, I'd think maybe trauma.

Did you just get him? Maybe during netting he got whacked.

If he was mine, I would monitor and if it gets worse you can add some Epsom salt, Unscented from the pharmacy. If it progresses he may need a hospital tank with antibiotic treatment.
I did just get him. Those pics and video were from the first hour after adding him into the aquarium. There didn't seem to be any discoloration of the tissue or damage to it. The skin, colour and patterning were all normal, just this lump which made me suspect it could be internal

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, here is a good link for snails with a good chart at the end covering what they eat and if they can right themselves:

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, here is a good link for snails with a good chart at the end covering what they eat and if they can right themselves:
Thanks man. This is very helpful!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, such a cute goby. A tiger pistol will be her best friend, as mentioned, and they are so neat to watch. I don't see anything serious with her head. It might go away or ot might stay. She looks to be healthy tho.

An urchin will most definitely eat your GHA, but it will be most likely after it eats the red macro. I've found that red macros are more appetising than gha to most herbivores. Urchins are not picky about what macros they will eat either, even munching on highly calcified algae such as coraline.

I would take the macro out of the tank, and lightly brush the GHA off and rinse in some tank water or fresh salt water. Do not rinse in RODI. Macroalgae has a tendency to melt fast in RODI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, such a cute blenny. A tiger pistol will be her best friend, as mentioned, and they are so neat to watch. I don't see anything serious with her head. It might go away or ot might stay. She looks to be healthy tho.

An urchin will most definitely eat your GHA, but it will be most likely after it eats the red macro. I've found that red macros are more appetising than gha to most herbivores. Urchins are not picky about what macros they will eat either, even munching on highly calcified algae such as coraline.

I would take the macro put of the tank, and lightly brush the GHA off and rinse in some tank water or fresh salt water. Do not rinse in RODI. Macroalgae has a tendency to melt fast in RODI.
Thank you Robin! Great advice...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back