Help with ID of Blenny

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Firstly I would like clarification on what type of blenny this is. Is it an Orange spot blenny? It seems to have very close similarities but doesn't have the little "antenna" on its head.

This brings me to the second question: just what is the lump on his head? Just behind his eye. Is this something I should be worried about? Does it go away?

and lastly, will this type of blenny eat green hair algae? (I don't have any green hair algae in my tank, but I picked up some red macroalgae from the LFS yesterday and it has green hair algae on it which.

Thanks!

IMG_20190730_202615.jpg IMG_20190730_205920.jpg

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for quick response Katrina! Is the lump on her head ok? Nothing to worry about?
Ill have a look at getting an urchin for it. Will they be able to climb onto the red macro algae like that?
Please excuse my ignorance in this, you may have guessed I am new to marine :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please Google the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp relationship. You will love it! Your pink spot will probably enjoy a tiger pistol shrimp. They are less shy than other varieties.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were all new at some point. [emoji6] I see the bump but is it just the area around the eye is bigger or it is on his head? May just be the way he is holding his eyeball hard to tell. Can you try some pics at a different angle? Maybe head on if you can manage, I know they dont like to cooperate

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if an urchin would eat your macro? You can just wait out the gha. It will eventually go away.
In your opinion what would be the wait time for this to go away? Will the GHA harm the red macro in the time? Preventing light from reaching it etc....
A Nitrate test from yesterday in my tank, I don't have a phosphate reading as I don't have the kit yet.

NO3 test.jpg

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm not seeing the lump you are talking about. Could you get a pic from the side? Btw, unless your firefish are a mated pair...you will only have one eventually.
yeah I was only planning on getting one, but those ones in the LFS were a mated pair (according to the LFS). Those two were kept in a separate tank in the LFS, all the other firefish were kept in another tank. Apparently they had been together for a long time and they quite inseparable in tank. so I'm hoping the LFS was right.

Ill try see if I have another pic. I took so many but it wasn't easy getting the right shot.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Please Google the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp relationship. You will love it! Your pink spot will probably enjoy a tiger pistol shrimp. They are less shy than other varieties.
Ive been on the lookout for a pistol shrimp but not one LFS around me has had them in.. Summer time is usually very quiet here so there is not much business and ordering going on. They usually wait till the winter months when everyone has come back

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates aren't a bad thing. Are you aware that macro in your display will deplete your oxygen when the lights are out? Just something to be aware of. You can always run an airstone while your lights are out. You may find your snails will graze on your macro too. Just watch and see.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were all new at some point. [emoji6] I see the bump but is it just the area around the eye is bigger or it is on his head? May just be the way he is holding his eyeball hard to tell. Can you try some pics at a different angle? Maybe head on if you can manage, I know they dont like to cooperate
Yeah exactly. Just around/ just behind the eye. let me check for more pics

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates aren't a bad thing. Are you aware that macro in your display will deplete your oxygen when the lights are out? Just something to be aware of. You can always run an airstone while your lights are out. You may find your snails will graze on your macro too. Just watch and see.
Im coming from freshwater so I was always trying to get my nitrates as low as possible haha. Only recently realized in SW its a little different. Its why I added a few more fish to the system...
Only have one snail - a Nassarius Snail. Don't know if he would be effective in taking out my GHA

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only have one snail - a Nassarius Snail. Don't know if he would be effective in taking out my GHA
Nassarius are great for detritus and sand stirring. I would recommend Cerith and Trochus snails for GHA. Hermit crabs may also help.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back