Help with ID of infection, please.

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help identifying this puffer's upper lip growth, and possible treatment options, would be greatly appreciated.
I'm preparing to catch the puffer and preparing my quarantine tank.
All other occupants of this 23 year old tank are normal, as are water parameters.
Ocellaris clown in this tank is in her 33rd year.

Many thanks from me and the puffer.
john cotter

Attachments

• Puffer lip infection.MOV
    18.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any help identifying this puffer's upper lip growth, and possible treatment options, would be greatly appreciated.
I'm preparing to catch the puffer and preparing my quarantine tank.
All other occupants of this 23 year old tank are normal, as are water parameters.
Ocellaris clown in this tank is in her 33rd year.

Many thanks from me and the puffer.
john cotter
Ouch. This is either a crash injury or an attempt to get a hold of a bristleworm. Im not ruling out crashing into rock or object based on what is attached to mouth tissue. I dont believe its bacterial or secondary issue but seeing that you are placing fish in quarantine, you can use Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex as well as Maracyn 2. Kanaplex will be most effective in preventing rot and infection

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be from a crash, with some algae wedged under the skin in front of the teeth? I don't see this as being an infection. If you catch the fish up, try holding it near the surface (but still in the water) and use a Q-tip to brush downward on the material and see if it dislodges.

Jay

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. This is either a crash injury or an attempt to get a hold of a bristleworm. Im not ruling out crashing into rock or object based on what is attached to mouth tissue. I dont believe its bacterial or secondary issue but seeing that you are placing fish in quarantine, you can use Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex as well as Maracyn 2. Kanaplex will be most effective in preventing rot and infection
Thanks for the prompt reply. I hate to say it, but I believe your diagnosis of "bristleworm" is likely correct. I moved some sand recently and saw the puffer go after a bristle worm. I know there are many in my deep sand bed (Jober system.) Does this change your treatment recommendation?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the prompt reply. I hate to say it, but I believe your diagnosis of "bristleworm" is likely correct. I moved some sand recently and saw the puffer go after a bristle worm. I know there are many in my deep sand bed (Jober system.) Does this change your treatment recommendation?
Yes- while it may dislodge over a couple of days, as jay also stated- if you catch fish and brush with Q-tip which will snag bristles but will dislodge on its own

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- while it may dislodge over a couple of days, as jay also stated- if you catch fish and brush with Q-tip which will snag bristles but will dislodge on its own
I believe the brown fuzz you see has increased in size significantly since I first noticed it a couple of weeks + ago. There fore I consider it a type of growth, maybe bacterial or fungal, in response to damage, most likely a bristle worm. I know if I accidentally touch them my hand hurts for days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the brown fuzz you see has increased in size significantly since I first noticed it a couple of weeks + ago. There fore I consider it a type of growth, maybe bacterial or fungal, in response to damage, most likely a bristle worm. I know if I accidentally touch them my hand hurts for days.

Oh - That changes everything, I assumed this was a new observation. If the fish has had this for a couple of weeks and it is growing, then it isn’t something trapped between the lip and tooth.
The only growth I’ve seen that is that color is a fairly rare fungal infection. I’ve treated it with 75 ppm one hour formalin dips daily for three days. Formalin is toxic to use in a person’s home though.
Jay

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be from a crash, with some algae wedged under the skin in front of the teeth? I don't see this as being an infection. If you catch the fish up, try holding it near the surface (but still in the water) and use a Q-tip to brush downward on the material and see if it dislodges.

Jay
While I can catch the puffer in my fish trap, after that I'm not sure how I can "hold" the puffer in order to try to brush away the fuzz, without harming the fish, or her fins. Any thoughts appreciated.

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - That changes everything, I assumed this was a new observation. If the fish has had this for a couple of weeks and it is growing, then it isn’t something trapped between the lip and tooth.
The only growth I’ve seen that is that color is a fairly rare fungal infection. I’ve treated it with 75 ppm one hour formalin dips daily for three days. Formalin is toxic to use in a person’s home though.
Jay
Jay, so sorry, I just now read this follow up post. Please excuse my inattention. I'll investigate the Formalin dip.

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the Kanaplex today, so in the morning the puffer will move into the isolation tank with Kanaplex. I will not have the formalin until Friday. I'll assess where things are at Friday. Thank you for you help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the Kanaplex today, so in the morning the puffer will move into the isolation tank with Kanaplex. I will not have the formalin until Friday. I'll assess where things are at Friday. Thank you for you help.

The formalin is dosed as a one hour dip with good aeration. The dose is 0.30 ml of formalin per gallon. of seawater.

Jay

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The formalin is dosed as a one hour dip with good aeration. The dose is 0.30 ml of formalin per gallon. of seawater.

Jay
The Kanaplex appears to be having an affect. After 48 hours with in in the water, as per normal dosage level, AND trying to saturate some frozen food in Kanaplex prior to feeding, the upper lip growth appears to be rescinding. I'm going to hold off for another day or two and see how it goes. If no continued improvement, I'll try the Formalin. But I think of it as a last ditch attempt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kanaplex appears to be having an affect. After 48 hours with in in the water, as per normal dosage level, AND trying to saturate some frozen food in Kanaplex prior to feeding, the upper lip growth appears to be rescinding. I'm going to hold off for another day or two and see how it goes. If no continued improvement, I'll try the Formalin. But I think of it as a last ditch attempt.

Good deal. Don't soak the food in Kanaplex. You cannot get the dosage correct doing that, and Kanaplex can be toxic if overdosed. This is an external issue, so Kanaplex in the water is fine.

Jay

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

I'm very pleased to say the puffer is back in my display tank. She appears to be free of the "infection" or fungus or whatever that was. The Kanaplex was a successful treatment. Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Now if I could just figure out what to feed her to keep those teeth worn down :thinking-face:
Puffer post infection.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back